minimum age for guest

Louis14
Level 1
London, GB

minimum age for guest

Hello All, I've just had enquiry from 16 year old who is coming to London apply for music university. Is 16 legal age to book a room with airbnb? Many thanks, Lou

6 Replies 6
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Louis14,

You must be 18 or older to have an account on Airbnb.

Also, third party bookings, where the person making the reservation doesn't check in and stay with you, are not allowed.

Section 2.1 of the terms of service mentions the age requirement.

https://www.airbnb.ie/terms

2.1 You must be at least 18 years old and able to enter into legally binding contracts to access and use the Airbnb Platform or register an Airbnb Account. By accessing or using the Airbnb Platform you represent and warrant that you are 18 or older and have the legal capacity and authority to enter into a contract.

The article below address the question of third party bookings.

https://www.airbnb.ie/help/article/427

Steve.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Steve143  I have been looking for an answer on this one, but have yet to find one. What about an emancipated minor like the US has. According to the court system they are a legal constanting adult in the US. Curious minds want to know this strange stuff lol...

You are considered a child and under the legal custody of a parent or guardian until you turn 18 (in most states), when you are granted adult status, also called the “age of majority.” ... When a minor is emancipated, through court order or other means, the minor legally becomes an adult.

Hello @Letti0,

I just quoted Airbnb's terms.

If curious minds want to know why not ask a laywer? In countries other than the US, as it's not a signatory to the UN convention on the rights of the child, emancipation is not such an important concept. It's different in signatory countries as that convention grants more rights to under 18s. What they can and can't do is a mix of those rights and national laws.

I presume that Airbnb picked 18 as it seems to be a common age of consent or majority.

I know about the age of majority term but what's a "constanting adult"?

Steve.

@Steve143  It's a typo lol Consenting Adult. In the US it means certian things that a minor is not allowed now without parental consent are okay i.e. to have sexual relations with someone 18 or older, sign a contract to rent or buy something, become a guardian to younger siblings in the event of parents/guardians death, join the military, quit high school, traveling anywhere on their own, making their own medical decisions, managing their own money especially in cases of actors/models/singers who earn big dollars, the list goes on. 

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Letti0,

Ah yes, I understand consenting adult. Thanks for coming back and clarifying.

Steve.

can emancipated minor rent from Airbnb?