modify reservation cancellation policy

Eric30
Level 2
Blue Bell, PA

modify reservation cancellation policy

I accepted some reservations before I noticed how lenient the default flexible cancellation policy was.  I have changed my cancellation policy now.  However, for the existing reservations, it doesn't appear I can change the cancellation policy when I try and alter them.  Is there any way to do this?

4 Replies 4
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Eric30,

You cannot change the cancellation on existing reservations as it is a contract.  It would be like buying a car and then having the dealership change the warranty on you.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Thanks.  Yes, I understand that why they would be hesitant, but I was hoping to offer them a slight price reduction in order to do so.  Like $100 off, accept revised cancellation policy, etc.  But it seems one of us would have to cancel all together in order to do so.

Yes @Eric30 but if you plan on doing something like this, you would be penalized for cancelling and if the guest cancels, they will loose their booking fee.  If you are concerned that they may cancel and you are offering them $100 discount to change the reservation, you might instead offer them $100 reimbursement after their stay is completed.  That may be more acceptable and you will not lose those guests.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Thanks for the suggestion Dave & Deb.