mutual cancellation?

mutual cancellation?

My account states in numerous places that the listing is for one guest. I frequently have people book, then indicate there are more than one guest...generally air bnb has fielded my question by requesting the person booking cancel. This time however the case manager said he chooses to deem this a "mutual cancellation". That is frustrating as its not really mutual-my listing just simply is for 1 guest at a time and clearly states that...the case manager said he would do this differently this time to give the booker a chance to become better educated, and as a one time courtesy to me. Thoroughly confused by why he took a different approach to this than other case managers. Anyone have experience with this? I am uncomfortable now that the booking guest, who was not all that polite to boot has my address. This makes me feel like consideration of ceasing to do air bnb might be a best route. For the first time I had a confused dialogue with help and still feel unclear about their choice and what it meant.

3 Replies 3
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

The most important thing for you, @Jennifer684, is how this cancellation counts. Have you been penalised? As for the case manager, Airbnb is not really reliable for hosts - read the forum topics and learn it nimbly.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @Jennifer684

Your listing is clear enough and the only thing I can suggest is

Add an extra guest charge, 1 guest $40pr night and 2nd guest $400pr night. No one will ever book 2people and if some twit does you can go and stop in a posh hotel for the night.

Don't give up

Ric11
Level 4
Salford, United Kingdom

Confused here. Just checked your listing and you can only book for one person!!! How can they book for 2? 

If they book for 1, and then ask to book for 2 then all you need to do is say,

Unfortunately, as per the listing, the room is only available for one person. 

Should you now wish to have 2 people stay then I would suggest cancelling your reservation and booking elsewhere. When you search for places, be sure to enter the number of guests that in your party and this will bring up only the listings suitable for you. 

Thanks 

That's surely all you need to say? If they keep the booking and 2 people arrive then only allow the booker in and send the second person packing.  Or as they have broken the house rules then you are in your right to send them both packing.