my guest wants to stay longer indefinitely

my guest wants to stay longer indefinitely

My guest started saying this, almost since he arrived. I didn't take this as a serious request. He booked from June 30 to August 30. Is about 5 days ago, he text me with the same. " I love this place, the suburb, the people. I wan to extend to another month or lease". I explain to him that i was planing to do work in the plumbing. (a project pending until I have some earnings, due we furnished the apartment). Instead to text me, as he do it like,  almost every day,20 messages, he called Airbnb! and they contacted me. I freely explain that I already booked the cleaning lady, the plumber and keep finish other tasks. Side of kind of really bother me he is sending me  a lot of text, telling me personal situations, how is desperately looking for a woman. I spoke with him face to face, and offer to help to find another place.

My question is about money. I know now, we probably never pay off this mortgage. We couldn't get a loan to refinance. My mortgage lender is putting no more than 200 against the principal. We get out of tenants due the repairs and damages. The last one took the  brand new dishwasher and microwave around of $700.00 We put a new kitchen, repairs, paint and furniture. If he stay like tenant I will probably lost a chance to get more than one guest, making the double? Or Will have some vacant days or weeks?  How long he can stay like tenant? Thank you for share with me. Good luck to every host. No easy job.

4 Replies 4
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Gabriela665 If you want the guest out by the end date of their reservation, I would just tell them that: say that you have the plumber booked to come in to do the work during that period, so you will need them to leave at X time on X date so the necessary work can be completed. Put it all in writing through the Airbnb messaging app. I don't think it was fair of Airbnb to get involved to try and get you to extend the stay.

I'm not sure what you mean regarding your question on how long he can stay like  a tenant. If you mean to ask if he has tenants rights due to the length of his stay, you will need to research the law in your area. That can definitely be a danger of taking longer stays, and it's the reason I don't host anyone for longer than 3 weeks at t a stretch. Airbnb is really best suited to shorter stays, and isn't meant to replace long-term leases or tenancy agreements.

Thank you for your advice, Please talk more about danger to stay longer. Sure that why I star Airbnb hosting. You know what my intuition telling me something, but I don't want to be irrational in business.  I almost sure he get a plan, because, almost by the 3rd day he mentioned wants to stay longer. I will tell all readers what happened today when I talk to him. Due I have a new inquiry with 2 guest. By 1 st of Thank you

Well, Yesterday I just confirmed my suspicions.  I arrived starting Hey I have bad news,  Airbnb says you can't stay longer due you did't book on time.  He wanted to start a lease after these 2 months. Interpreter rules to his own point of view, like he told me the first week. " If Airbnb says in promotion, save when book more days, well I will have a good one if I stay 6 month."

Yesterday when I said you have to move, this is a short term rental and I have a new booking. His reaction was like I let him go away. Hope he move as planed. 

Thank you 

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Gabriela665

Could you see this conversation, if it is possible : 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Changing-or-altering-a-booking/m-p/1108997#M270432  

Thanks, 

Miloud