my guests were Freeloading scammers

my guests were Freeloading scammers

I had a couple that booked a cabin on the boat for 5days to do island hopping trips in the Cyclades in Greece
.I include also breakfast and one. Lunch OR Dinner..Before somebody books I let them know that the pickup point can vary and depends the island that I find myself on..
these two guests knew this and the terms and conditions etc...
Two days before their arrival I notified them where I would pick them up....
On the day of their arrival they contacted me to to say that they could not afford the ferry ticket.... I than had to alter my sailing trip just to put ck them up on a different island and this took me about 7hrs and about 100euro in diesel as there was no wind...
They stayed 3days on the boat, ate my food and abused my hospitalty
On the 3th day, late in the evening and after I paid the meal in the restaurant, they told me that they wanted to get of the boat,
They said that the cabin and the boat was not up to their standards and they wanted a refund..
They were more than happy to be on the boat and the gu basicly stayed most of the time in their cabin coz he was sick all the time. The girl didn't sleep in their cabin coz he was snoring all night, instead she slept in the saloon .
I told them that I would issue them 150,euro refund via Airbnb.
She than claimed another 150euro which was also deducted from my account without my knowledge.
She than claimed another 150euro.
Later Ialso found out that they also didn't paid their bar bill on the island I picked them up and I ended up paying their bill because I don't want to have problems with the owners of the bar..
The 2of them are freeloading scammers that managed to get a free sailing holiday on my boat, ate the food I provided, abused my hospitality and they managed to claim their money back from Airbnb.
I send a good few emails to Airbnb about them but the emails bounce back to me... And I am the one that is screwed financially....
Screwed financially coz of the diesel I burned to pick them up, their bar bill I had to pay, and the refund that Airbnb issued.
Its not very nice....

20 Replies 20

Hi Ange. Yea its extremely puzzling to me that they just took of money of my account, even I issued already a refund..... Unreal...
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

With the benefit of hindsight, not having the ferry fare was your first warning, should have stopped there.

David

yes David I should have cancelled it all together when she told me that....but than she probably might have suid me...etc etc

@Chris242, no she couldn't possibly. If they cannot show to the appointed check in, that is that and the cancellation policy would have kicked in. What an absolute pain. How Airbnb can refund without consulting host I do not understand, but have read of more than one case. I want to see the policies and procedures which are followed in the case of refunds. Has to be one, there always is.

If I were you I would go to the FB page and ask to see it, so you can more clearly understand how it was that this happened. Just ask nicely and see what happens.

Edit: Just looked at the listing and it is great. Have marked it as favourite in case I am ever in Greece (haven't been since 1986 though, about time maybe???). I have been sailing before and do not get seasick 🙂

Hi Sandra, she did managed to talk Airbnb in to it to get 450 euro all together....
The Facebook page of Airbnb is no help at all. Waste of time...
Anyways, you are more than welcome to hop on board when UA around next year...
Anastasia5
Level 3
Las Vegas, NV

Could be much worse..what happened to me- scammer want his money back AFTER staying happily 5 days at the property - and I give to him refund for last night,  which he keep texting me about "noise" bothering him and I'm running around the house trying to locate that non-existing noise at 1 am at night... I want him move out happily so I give him last night refund - and scammer ruin my score, left disquisting review, and Airbnb refuse to help!  They said "You should work on getting more good reviews asap so this one will not matter". It does matter!