neighbors bothering guests, not guests bothering neighbors!

Laura4663
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

neighbors bothering guests, not guests bothering neighbors!

Glad i found this as im pre-emptively worried about the same issue.

My little place is nearly ready for hosting, i own the drive which my neighbors have access to...

Heres the issue, the new neighbors are second home owners and its their pride and joy. Unfortuanly, they where not made away that they own a small fraction of the drive and have access only, they also didnt know about the land restrictions. I was also not at the property for the first year of them being there and the sudden show of people with the gardening and cleaning has annoyed them greatly. To the point that the wife is screaming at workmen for parking on the drive to unload due to her parking in a area which is against the land reg covenant....i sent her the detail via a solicitor, made the situation worse. 

Im writing my welcome pack up, including clear instructions to avoid anyone being bothered (im not mentioning that the neighbor should park where she does) with site plan etc. 

My issue is kinda the opposite to what im seeing on the forums, im worried about MY GUESTS BEING BOTHERED by prickly villagers that should have looked into what there buying rather than target my guests. 

Im hoping this will not be the case, but personal friends have been bothered by these neighbors but i think thats cause theyre linked to me. Im hoping complete strangers will not be approached.

Any way, what's the best course of actions to deal with intrusive neighbors? I feel it will put people off returning. The drive is shared and the neighbors are busy in summer, so privacy is not fantastic as is. 

I doubt an injunction would be granted at this stage, and id rather deescalate the situation. Ive had cctv installed but im also worried that will put guests off too. I will be showing them the system if they request for reassurance.

I hope that this summer will settle the tensions, but the wife seems hell bent atm.

So, whats the deal with neighbors sabotaging holiday lets??

9 Replies 9

@Laura4663  Are your neighbors aware that you're planning to do Airbnb rentals?  Even if you have every legal right to do STR at the property, it's understandable that they might not be at peace with a constant influx of strangers disrupting what they perceive as their space. If I were in your position, I'd make it the first priority to establish a peaceful understanding with the neighbors before opening the listing. These people might seem just impossible to deal with, but they may have some valid concerns that would be helpful to address in your listing's restrictions. If you don't do this and the neighbors bother your guests, your hospitality will be effectively ruined and your listing will be tanked by bad reviews.

Coming at it from another angle - I also know what it's like to have a neighbor start a new listing on Airbnb, before they knew how to keep the place under control and screen their guests. It was a really unpleasant experience that really drove home why Airbnb hosts are so widely despised in residential communities.

Just like with any other business, an Airbnb host shouldn't serve their customers at the expense of their local community. Hopefully you can improve your neighborly relations and assure them that you have both the expertise to avoid problem guests and the means in place to keep the home under control.

Laura4663
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thanks for your input.

I agree with what youre saying, but im reaching out cause all common sense procedures are not working. The reason its going on airbnb is because im fed up with trying to appease my neighbors over every little thing. I also know they do not like the idea of a holiday let, so i hoped the mention of putting it on Airbnb due to the issues would calms things.

Their issues seems entirely around myself, so i doubt they will bother guests. They haven't in the past unless im there. Its really odd as nothing significant has happened, apart from me not cutting the grass often enough....i have limited mobility. They just seem very upset that they do not own what they thought they bought. Not my problem, i had all checks done as the drive is clearly shared and i wanted to know what i owned.. I also wouldn't by a house that required access via someone else land if i was so concerned with how they manage their property...its odd.

I can not appease them any further. The reasons to reach out to the community, is because i see a lot of ''bad guest'' issues and neighbors frustrated with finding a solution. I wonder if it is the same the other way around. If neighbors do not want a holiday let and actively sabotage it, how is that dealt with? You mention bad reviews, would this be useful in legal action?

Both homes are second homes and not occupied 24/7. This is more a issue of someone being mis-sold a property and taking it out on the person who informed them of the reality.

When i bought the place, i made sure i was clear of every land restriction cause clearly the drive is shared. I personally wouldn't by a property that required access via someone's land if i was particular concerned about how the OP  looks after their property...its odd and intrusive.

As i said, my welcome pack is very clear and is actually in the neighbors favor as im not complaining about where they park (not allowed as per covenant which the solicitor has informed them on) and rearranged our area affectively for parking to avoid any disruption to either party.

I wonder, would bad reviews actually help in pursuing legal options?

@Laura4663  The only situation in which I can imagine a review being useful evidence in a legal action is if it directly attested that the neighbors committed an actual crime - such as physically assaulting the guest or vandalizing their car. And even in that case, I would think that the guest would have to be deposed as a witness. But it doesn't sound like things have escalated to this extreme. 

If you get bad reviews due to the neighbors lawfully exercising their freedom of expression, without trespassing on your property, that's just tough luck - not really grounds for a legal action. If it were, you could just as easily sue any guest who doesn't give you a perfect review, and that way madness lies.

It's a shame if you feel driven away from your home by this conflict, but if your read of the situation is that doing Airbnb might help de-escalate, I can only recommend avoiding 1/2 night stays and keeping Instant Book disabled so that you can confirm that the group will be non-disruptive before accepting. It might help to disclose any limitations on parking, noise, and so forth in your listing, as a fresh new listing is a notorious magnet for unapproved parties and other unpleasantries. 

f you're hosting remotely, you'll definitely need that CCTV, even if a small portion of guests are put off by it. But do you also have a local co-host who will go to the house on your behalf if something is amiss?  

Laura4663
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thanks for the tips, ive noted them down for when i list.

Yep, i have installed CCTV which i advised them on first, and had changed to try and find a middle ground but its still a sore topic (although the random acts are pretty entertaining).

I do not worry myself about anything out of my hands, its life and inconveniences are expected. But im talking about private land which is not to be used by anyone other than guests (parking area). Im concerned they will be asked to move (despite neighbors continuing to park where they should not, even after being advised by the solicitor. Because it doesn't affect me often, I have not perused the matter legally)

My ''bad review'' comment was more around showing a consistent timeline of negative interactions. I was not sure if it would help to bundle in with all the other issues if I feel to peruse legally. Anything criminal would be reported at the time,  and I do not think anything to that extreme would happen. Hopefully! If it did, perusing legally would be much easier.

They are purely upset that the house is being used more often, which is ironic as they complained about the gardening while i was away. I can not win, so im not looking to build a dialog again. Im interested to hear other stories that might be similar.

@Laura4663  It's great that you're taking the time to prepare and mitigate potential trouble spots before you go live. Also great that you're unconcerned about things going out of your hands - as long as you know that Airbnb does not actually charge a deposit, and in the event of serious damage you'll have to rely on your own personal insurance as the "host guarantee" is not what it sounds like.

Laura4663
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Ive been looking into holiday let insurance thing week, my current one can switch me over. Insurance is always a headache being so close to the sea. Also wanted something after reading the horror stories! But the thought of guests being disrupted was bother me today!

Thanks for bringing additional things to my attention, its a lot to consider but im excited.

Hopefully im worrying for nothing!

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

How very English @Laura4663 ! - And how hypocritical of your nasty neighbours to be aggressively territorial with your holiday makers when they are holidaymakers themselves!

I deal with my own nasty neighbours by hiding, in terror. (Tho' the problem may resolve itself by his probably terminal illness....)

I talk about it on page 2 of this thread... https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/How-do-you-maintain-a-good-relationship-with-neighbours/... 

@Nick then expresssed similar in Athens! (Maybe not just the English then?!)

I'm not sure what to advise.... I'm more of a hide your head in the sand & hope it will go away person, than a take legal action person..... I'll await helpful responses with interest!

Laura4663
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Interesting read, thanks for you input.

I'm glad you see the irony! some of the conversations have been hilarious, like a twilight zone!

Unfortunately, I can not hide from the situation if I want to progress with the property. And if anyone thinks they can push me to sell, then me progressing shows them otherwise.

I have mentioned I don't retaliate or act emotionally, I find practical solutions like changing the access points and trying to find a middle ground. its surprising though cause given the plot lay out, i could be incredibly inconsiderate with access and works, but thats not me. Although bollards are on the to do list if necessary!

I have been beyond empathetic, so im interested to know if anyone else has had to deal with prickly neighbors!

Ashley678
Level 7
Apache Junction, AZ

Hi there, 

I know all too well this situation.  The police have been called on my neighbors and a PRO has been placed by the courts on the wife. My neighbors have airbnb's also and can't stand the fact of my success. my reviews are over the MOON 🙂 theirs , not so much, they aren't even super hosts.  If your neighbors plan to hurt your residential business, you better starting taking photos and filming everything NOW ! prepare for putting Restraining orders in place, because if your neighbors are anything like mine... it's sadly will only get worse. this is a civil matter, only the courts will help.  Airbnb will not get involved. 

Best of luck to you,  ash