new controls for house rules, can cancel reservation without penalty if guest breaks rules.

Geff0
Level 2
Wheaton-Glenmont, MD

new controls for house rules, can cancel reservation without penalty if guest breaks rules.

Just received an email about the house rules update feature,and a message stating that:

"If a guest breaks a house rule, either before or during their stay, you can cancel the reservation without penalty."

However,

When you go to the "Cancel a reservation as a host" page  there is a section on cancellation penalties,and associated penalty fees,and extenuating circumstances.

This page should be updated to include the house rule without penalty clause. As it stands there is no mention of this new policy.

Or is is on another page??

Thanks for any info on this!

44 Replies 44
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

I think it is only valid for instant book.  airbnb is pushing instant book and many hosts are not comfortable with this option.  Most would want to screen who they are letting into their home. How can a guest break the rules before arriving ? That is beyond my comprehension.  And once a problem guest is inside your door, you will have to deal with it.

this is the actual page I'm referring to:

HELP CENTER - TRAVELING- YOUR TRIP

What are house rules?

Hosts share their House Rules to set expectations with their guests, like limits on smoking, areas beyond the listing space that are off-limits, and permission to have visitors.

To add or edit House Rules after you’ve listed your space:

1. Go to MANAGE LISTINGS  on airbnb.com
  2. Click on the listing you want to edit
  3. Hover on the left side of the page to open the menu
  4. Under Hosting, click on Booking
  5. Under House Rules, enter your expectations and rules for guests

If a guest breaks a house rule, either before or during their stay, you can cancel their reservation without penalty.

House rules appear on your listing page, and guests must review and agree to them before requesting a reservation. They’re also sent directly to a guest once they’ve a confirmed reservation.

I think by "before their stay", they mean if the guest messages you before they arrive that they can not conform to your house rules you can cancel without penalty.

Craig178
Level 7
Maryland, United States

Unfortunately it does not work this way.  Airbnb will punish the host for canceling the reservation if the guest breaks the house rules.  It happened to me.  The guest broke three of my house rules and I got one cancellation on my record.  It was Airbnb who did the cancellation on my behalf and they promised me that there will be no penalty.  As a result I was penalized for requesting to cancel the reservation of the guest who broke three of my house rules 

I don't know why breaking the house rules before a guest arrives is beyond your comprehension. Guest auto books then advises the host 'oh, yeah, we have two kids under 12 and an infant' even though they clicked to acknowledge the house rules that plainly say 'no children under 12'. 

Now I have to be the bad guy and cancel the booking and provide explanations to Airbnb and the guest when the party that made a booking shouldn't have made the booking in the first place. 

Yep, currently happening to me right now. I'm having to spend most of my morning getting this reservation cancelled. Grrrr

Why can't Airbnb's fancy pants system stop penalising the hosts?!

Hi,

I set up the clear rules for guest who are interested in booking my house. It helps both me and a guest because the guest has to agree to my house rules prior to booking my house. In my house rules I clearly specify for is acceptable and what is not. It helps my guests to determine if they want to book my house or not, and it helps me to make sure that I have guest who are going to comply with my rules. Sometimes, it requires additional communication, but it really works. I recommend everyone to set up clear rules and use Instant Book to maximaze bookings. Great combination and increase in quality bookings.

I've done this also, however, people seem to ignore this and still violate house rules.

Hi Marit Anne,

A guest could fail to coordinate a check-in time, either with a room in a private home where the host welcomes them personally or a turn-key offer which requires a window of time for the host or crew to prepare the property. I visited Lofoten recently and hope to make it to Troms next trip!

Kind regards! Corin

Barbara297
Level 5
River Edge, NJ

My place looks like a great place to party (pool table, fooseball, shuffleboard) so I have a big problem with people hosting 'gatherings' in my place.  For my neighbors, it's like living on top of a bar  and for me, The place is starting to smell like a bar.  All renter's aren't bad, but the ones that are make me think twice about hosting.  I believe once a guest is in your place , nothing is going to move them out until they are good and ready.

AirBnB needs to protect the hosts better and I think the only way to do that is for them to speak the universal language - MONEY!  If renter's stood to lose the entire deposit, they may think twice about breaking the rules.  I think the host should be reimbursed for any damage or additional costs they incur as a result of the infraction and the rest of the deposit should be donated to a local homeless shelter. 

@Barbara297

What about not promoting the pool table etc.  Simply remove the photos and take away from the description and replace with a baby cot or something equally offputting to those seeking a party venue.

Hi Marit Anne - it's a double edged sword - The game tables are a big selling point for my place . If I were to take those pictures off the listing, it would not be an accurate portrayal of the property and I wouldn't get the premium price that I ask for a one bedroom apartment without them. I do get a lot of people that are okay with my rules and others just agree and do what they want anyway.

If you add a 'right to cancellation' upon breaking of house rules and/or forfeit of additional $200 a day minimum that they remain after notification of breaking a rule - it might discourage guests from getting carried away and treating your nice set up like a drinking-age video arcade. 

We have the exact same issue with our place and it is very frustrating that Airbnb does not provide any protection or support for hosts against guests who violate house rules, such as "No smoking", "No parties or events', "no extra guests", "no pets".  

It makes us question listing our property on Airbnb, and if Airbnb does not find a way to protect hosts from these type of guests, then I suspect many will leave, as we are tempted to do.

I think our solution is to state that any violation of house rules will result in immediate termination of stay, and then when the issue is discovered, you can either cancel their reservation or request in person that they either pay fine or extra costs in cash immediately or leave.

@Clay18 if Airbnb is willing to let the host cancel the reservation without penalty and require the guests to leave should the guests break a house rule, what more are you looking for with regard to support and protection?