new to airbnb - mysterious cancellation - hacked?

Si1
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

new to airbnb - mysterious cancellation - hacked?

I have posted elsewhere but I think in the wrong place:

It seems I have been the victim of a hacking.

I booked a room in Newcastle UK for two nights to attend my cousins wedding, but last night I had an email to say that my registered phone number had been changed and that 'I' had cancelled the reservation and will be refunded apart from a booking fee and the £25 newbie coupon I used. I also saw notice that the last recorded log in to the site was from the US (I live in the UK) -hence the hack.

I managed to get hold of somone from Air B and B on the phone who seemed very helpful and that he would pass this over to someone to handle, expected by end of today.

I am concerned that I have not only lost the booking but fees and a £25 coupon. It is not a great loss, but not a good intro to Airbnb so far. The Customer Service in dealing with this will be telling.

Anyone else had this sort of experience or is it a one off?

3 Replies 3
Louise47
Level 10
Maroochydore, Australia

I hope they can fix it for you

Claire244
Level 1
New York, NY

Im havng a similar situation right now with one of my guests. I've been talking to him about his trip then suddenly I get a canellation notice. He contacted me today completely mad because his AirBNB account was messed with and he can't reset the reservation. I Can't book it for him. Does anyone have any ideas?

The end outcome for me was that I was told that I would have all the money back including reservation fee (though I've not checked yet). I was also given a £50 coupon to cover the £25 first timers coupon and as a goodwill gesture. So positive on that front. But I was told I could rebook the accommodation at that point, but when I tried my account was still frozen, so I called back and was told that this element was in a queue for security team assessment before it could be reinstated. This took a further week or so.

In order to secure the accommodation I actually set up a new account with another email address, because I did not want to lose that date. I'm still concern after this experience that I may lose the booking. I am yet to be convinced of the quality of service of airbnb. All the staff I spoke to were great, but the time taken to sort and convoluted processes have cost me a number of hours trying to sort, when it could have taken 10 minutes if more efficiently managed.