no more notifications?

Chris14676
Level 1
Austin, TX

no more notifications?

I have been using AirBNB since October 2018 and have about ten stays. I noticed the system would send me a text message every time I got a message in AirBNB.

Recently, I am no longer getting notifications via text message. It also seems that hosts are much less responsive as well. One host in particular took over two days to respond. He also twice asked me to communicate other ways--text message and Whatsapp.

Was some kind of change made? This takes a lot of ease and convenience away from this app. I never expected hosts to respond immediately. But when it takes over two days, that is a problem.

3 Replies 3

I checked the settings, and you don't need to explain why I should message within this platform. I already know why.

It also seems that others are NOT receiving notifications. I canceled the first AirBNB. I am now waiting on a response from another host.

Hosts have always been responsive in the past. Now it seems that they are not. Maybe this is a Bogota or a Colombia thing?

I just looked through my old conversations. Past hosts were quite responsive. Now they are very unresponsive. I may just end up staying in a hotel.

@Chris14676  Airbnb has a lot of tech glitches. A couple years ago I also stopped receiving text alerts. After I reported the problem it took several weeks  to start getting my alerts again.

It's always a good idea to check at least 2 methods of getting alerts, so if one fails, hopefully the other still works.

As for hosts not responding in a timely fashion, there hasn't been any system change,  but it's hard to know why this would happen- it could just be the case of an unresponsive host (and some cultures are more "mañana" oriented), but it could also be quite innocent- the internet could be down where they live, they might be somewhere out of range, the host might be ill. 

I've had guests not answer messages and thought they were just ignoring me, but that turned out not to be the case.

One thing I can tell you is that Whatsapp is heavily used in Mexico and Latin America and is the preferred method of communication. Because it's free as long as you have a cell signal, whereas internet may be expensive.

So you might try using Whatsapp text or phone call to simply ask the host to look at and respond to your Airbnb message on platform.

ChuckandCarole0
Level 7
Springfield, OR

Hello there, i just noticed in my inbox that i got a reservation inquiry, which i was not notified of and via text notifications, or email, and so that inquiry was withdrawn.....so i missed renting for two nights. i did let airbnb customer service rep know of this problem, and i also have not received a follow up email of our discussion.