open case against a guest can they leave a bad revenge review

Dee8
Level 3
Belfast, United Kingdom

open case against a guest can they leave a bad revenge review

two awkward guests, loud noisy disrespectfull,  lost my keys and we had an argument over the phone when they left, the guy even laughed and shouted

" watch out for our review " 

i mean they could say anything,  i am thinking of not even opening a case against them now as i cannot afford a revenge review so will just replace the set of keys myself.

AIRBNB review standards are all wrong in my view.

6 Replies 6

@Dee8    Agreed, Airbnb review system is wrong-headed.  Ironically, not deleting petty, dishonest, retaliatory reviews  (even when proven with documentation) plays into the spin of  "trust and transparency".   Unfortunately, it looks like you will get a bad review from what you have posted re: their remarks and  Airbnb will probably let it stand.   Your only defense is offense with a short factual review, thumbs down, flag profile etc, or by responding to their review in a way that sells you as proactive, calm host. If you have mostly great reviews most future guests will see their review for what it is, if a petty rant.  You could also write a message  https://www.airbnb.com/help  to Airbnb reiterating the loss of keys and the veiled 'threat' and ask for advice, purely to make sure it is on record on Airbnb site,  if need be.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Dee8 Just write a short accurate review of these  guests and make it clear that they showed no respect for your property and that you cannot recommend  them to other hosts in the future.  There is probably no point in trying  to get payment for the keys but please change your locks asap in case the keys were not "lost" at all.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Dee8 

Put on your big boy pants, and accept what’s coming from those to reprobates, you’re not powerless.

Put in your complaint to Airbnb and demand for a new set of keys which realistically means a new lock and give those two a measured review and thumps down.

Your review alone will require them to set up a new Airbnb account so they can use the Airbnb system again as no host will touch them with a barge poll.

Wei-and-Ting0
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Don't talk over the phone unless you can record it. Collect evidence and keep record of all communications, then wait 14 days for the review period to expire before making a claim in the resolution center. Airbnb holds on to guest payment methods for 60 days so you have plenty of time without fearing a retaliatory review. If the guest uses bad review as a threat, they violet airbnb's extortion policy and will lose their ability to post a review. 

We have recently published an ebook that goes into dealing with reviews in more detail, as a fellow host you can download a free copy here:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Circle/Free-eBook-on-Home-Hosting/td-p/1079198

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Dee8 @Wei-and-Ting0 @Cormac0 @Rachel0 @Ange2 

@Dee8  make sure you at least send a msg via msg systems to the Guests re keys if you haven't already so it's in the systems for your own records.

You are within your rights to go through the Resolution Centre to get a new set of keys/locks replaced, they can either accept or decline alas it may spur them on to actually find the lost keys and return them.

Hold on to writing a review til the last day as by then they may have forgotten or overlooked writing one.

You may like to mention how the guests weren't respectful.

All the best

Brittani7
Level 4
Florida, US

I would open a claim for your lost keys!   Chances are, your going to get a bad review.  The good note is, just because your get a bad review, doesn't mean your listing will be destroyed.   When you have a sea of good reviews, one or two negative reviews isn't going to impact your listing as dramatically as most make it seam.  

I have it stated on my listings that a lost keys will result in a fine.

I feel as though when dealing with a guest, keep a neutral opinion on what their review will be and handle what you need to handle as a business owner (i.e charging them for a key they lost)