pet fee

Mark1723
Level 5
Irvine, CA

pet fee

FYI I just sent the post below to _yet another_ unresponsive member of the " Airbnb Dedicated SuperHost Support Team."

I wrote:

I HAVE REPEATEDLY REQUESTED THAT AIRBNB INCLUDE A PET FEE FIELD IN THE GUEST REGISTRATION APPLICATION.
WHY THIS HAS NOT BEEN DONE IS A COMPLETE MYSTERY TO ME!
AS IT IS, THE ONLY WAY TO COLLECT PET FEES IS THROUGH THE "SEND OR REQUEST MONEY" FEATURE IN THE RESOLUTIONS AREA.
FIRST, HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW IF THE GUEST IS BRINGING ANY PET(S)?
NEXT, HOW IS THE GUEST SUPPOSED TO KNOW TO PAY THE $10/NIGHT PER PET FEE I WISH TO CHARGE?
I CAN'T, FOR THE LIFE OF ME, FIGURE OUT WHY AIRBNB HAS BEEN SO INTRANSIGENT ON SUCH AN OBVIOUS NEED THAT IS SO INCREDIBLY SIMPLE TO RESOLVE!
_PLEASE RESPOND!_

====

I responded:

I am quite familiar with the resolutions center! Did you even read my post? The resolution center is a really useless and pathetic means of resolving this issue for the very reasons I provided in my prior post above!!

I'm painfully aware that your system "does not allow to add the pet fee as not every guest bring the pet in the listing". THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'M TRYING TO GET YOU TO CORRECT!

My problem is that AirBnB, in what I can only describe as foolish decision making, has systematically refused to add a pet fee option to the guest registration form!
God! this is SO SIMPLE! Why doesn't AirBnB get it??

It is irrelevant that some guests don't bring pets! All pet friendly hosts are asking is that there be an OPTION for a guest to disclose that they are bringing a pet(s) when they register, and an option to accept the $10/night fee (or whatever the host wants to charge) for the option of bringing their pet along.

If you need an example, simply look at your competitor; www.VRBO.com who has provided this option for years!

If the intransigent decision makers in your management team are still reluctant to add this feature, _at the very least_ I'd like a good explanation as to WHY this obvious need is not being addressed.

I'm not the only one complaining about this (by a long shot!)
Simply go to
https://community.withairbnb.com
and search on "Pet Fee."

There are _760_ comments! Many from irate hosts who simply can't understand why AirBnB management seems to be so unresponsive that they can't get this simple and needed request implemented!

**[Private conversation removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]

21 Replies 21
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

**Personal remarks removed

🤦🏾‍

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Anonymous @Sarah977 @Mike-And-Jane0 

I would.

**Personal remarks and inappropriate content removed

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Anonymous @Sarah977 @Mike-And-Jane0 @Debra300 

Incidentally, I just did some revisions on my VRBO listing, and they continue to improve their website.

You can specify number and types of pets accepted, set a fee per pet, per night, or per stay, etc.

Hosts may also offer guests a range of security deposits (real ones) OR guests may choose to purchase insurance starting at $59 for $1500 coverage.

I have to assume that VRBO/Expedia are serious about challenging Airbnb and are willing to address issues that have long been ignored.

@Brian2036 I tried VRBO in a former guise (Homeaway) a few years ago and got no bookings. Do you gain many bookings listing with them?

@Mike-And-Jane0 

We used to get some, not many, when we listed through a property manager.

We have had none since we listed on our own last month. Same action with TripAdvisor. No bookings or inquiries.

At this point I can only hope that Airbnb is watching hosts adding other listings to their portfolios and taking it as a sign that they need to make some improvements.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Brian2036 @Sarah977 

Hey everyone,

Thanks for contributing to this thread.

As per our Community Center Guidelines, I'd like to ask you to please refrain from posting personal remarks when trying to get your point across. It is neither allowed nor necessary.

As you know, this is an open forum where everyone is welcome to share their thoughts - as long as there's no breach of the guidelines. 

Thanks,

Liv