please help me, it is urgent for the new japan law. airbnb and host are no help me at all

Jieyun0
Level 2
Alberta, Canada

please help me, it is urgent for the new japan law. airbnb and host are no help me at all

heello, all

can someone please help me?

we have a situation for renting the room in japan now. we have 2 groups both booked the same host in the Japan at the same time. after the new law come, one of our group contacted the airbnb and the host, they canceled her booking with full refund and voucher. however, when we wanted to cancel it, the airbnb and the host keep asking me to wait, and i have to apply for the japanse visa , so  i have no time to wait.

but the airbnb would not doing anything for us as same as the host. i dont understand how come we treated differently.

Does anyone know the outcome for this? it is really stressed for us . because i have to apply for the visa, i cannt take any risk for this. the host still not get the licenses yet. and i don't know why they keep holding my back to wait. 

does any one can give me some suggetion for this? i talked to the case manager from airbnb, but she is not helpful at all. saying that if we canceled it our side, we would have long term policy so i would lost money. but now the new law does not allow Airbnb to list any room without licences, howcome airbnb still willing ask me to wait?  

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Jieyun0 ,

I think Airbnb should treat identical cases in the same way. But as you have a confirmed reservation and Airbnb nor the host is seems to be bothering about the license-issue, i think you should contact Airbnb again and ask for guarantee the reservation is OK, so your can continue your preparations for this trip. Otherwise Airbnb should cancel the reservation, as they did for the other group. It's one way or the other, nothing in between. This license issue is not your problem or fault, it's the problem of the host now violating Airbnb terms.

Thank you so much for your help. I have been trying so many times. The Airbnb saying that nothing they can do unless the host willing to cancel my booking, which is nonsense for the case. And seems just nothing make sense on our case at all. The host willing to cancel my friend’s booking , but not mine which is not make sense. No one willing to holding back for something which no promises the booking is confirmed. 

Hitomi3
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

@Jieyun0, I'm sorry this has happened to you. I know of the changes that happened in Japan, and that so many hosts have lost their listings or are struggling to get that license.

1. Try contacting Airbnb support on Twitter, publicly. Specifically ask for a refund. I once had a terrible case manager who just refused to do anything, but I finally could get some help when I contacted the support account on Twitter several times. They tend to care more since the complaint is in public.

2. For your visa sake, it might be better to book somewhere else like hostels or hotels, while solving this issue.

3. This is for the worst case scenario: If you have paid with a credit card, check if the card has a travel insurance on it. Some card insurances cover cancellation of flights etc. that is not your fault.

I hope this gets resolved and you will enjoy the travel in Japan!

@Emiel1

As a person following this new regulation topic in Japan, I can say that the host most likely is bothered by this regulation to a significant degree, and it sounds that they are trying everything to get the license—although I think they should let the guests move on with their life. There are ridiculous rules to follow, and since this new law was enforced nationwide without providing sufficient trainings to city offices, unlucky hosts get an office where no staff knows what the heck you are talking about when you go in and try to apply for the license. Some hosts are saying they waited for 5 months+ even when they hired lawyers (and still didn't get it).

There's an English thread if you are interested. https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Japan-after-June-14/m-p/737839#M174076

Thank you so much for your post. The Airbnb just contact me for this. I think that they heard that I was complained about the Japan trip. And they have one of the best case manager to contact me and finally solve the problem...thank god...finally ...this case manager just explained to me what happened to my case, and let me canacel it with full refund now....even have voucher for my cases...thank god...I don’t know how they heard about this...but finally have someone actually read it and help me out now...we can find a place and apply the visa for good sake side...

thank you for everyone who helped me here for this case..and wish all the best and luck for you...

i almost want want to give up use Airbnb ..but now maybe I will give more change to try it...