previous visit dog issue

previous visit dog issue

I have a forthcoming reservation which I now realise is a returning guest group.  The last time they were here their dog shed hair everywhere - on furniture and in beds.  Our policy is well behaved dogs allowed with no access to bedrooms or on furniture.  Our much valued housekeeper nearly left us and is not at all happy about their return!

I have messaged the guests to say their dog is not to be allowed in the lodge on account of previous visit.  I had no response so asked them to please reply to my original message.  Still no reply!

They are expecting me to cancel the reservation in the knowledge I will be penalised.

I cant find anyway to query ABNB to highlight the problem.

Any help much appreciated.

Colin

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Colin238  If this was an Instant Book reservation, you can cancel it penalty-free stating you are uncomfortable with the booking.

But if you are going to allow pets, it isn't going to work out for you to state the dog isn't allowed on the furniture or in the bedrooms. Guests whose dogs are used to that will not be able to, nor comply with those rules. If you allow pets, you should resign yourself to that, or stop allowing pets.

While children can be told and understand that "Yes, you are allowed to do that at home, but not in other people's houses", a dog doesn't understand that- if they lie on the sofa and sleep in the owner's bed at home, they will do that at your place, too. No dog owner who normally lets their dog sleep in bed is going to prevent them from doing that at your place, I guarantee you. 

Furthermore, every dog owner will tell you their dog is well-behaved. 

If you choose to continue to be pet-friendly, there are a few things you can do to mitigate the dog hair issue. When guests tell you they are bringing their dog, you prepare for their visit by leaving old sheets and towels for them to cover surfaces the dog lies on and be very clear with them about using them. You can remove throw rugs. Maybe even provide a dog bed. Things like that. And you could provide a cheap shop-vac to dog owners and ask that they vacuum up the majority of the hair.

I am a dog owner myself, whose dog happens to be a heavy shedder. But I don't believe in dogs on furniture or beds, and no dog of mine has ever been allowed to do that. If a dog is trained that way, they don't even have any desire to do so. They know their place is on the floor.

The only time my dog wants to be up on the couch is during rainstorms with thunder and lightning, which terrifies her. She is trying to get off the floor because dogs can sense the vibrations through the floor, so she feels vulnerable. I do allow her to do that, as she is in primal fear mode, trembling and panting.

But as soon as the storm has passed, she jumps off the couch, because it isn't part of her normal, acceptable places to lie and feels alien to her.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Colin238 

How did this guest, who you wouldn't want back, slip through the cracks and book again with you?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Colin238  Nowhere in your listing description or your house rules do you mention anything about what you say are your rules concerning dogs. So I assume you just convey this after guests book.

It is crucial for you to make the conditions for bringing dogs clear in your listing ad, not just after guests have booked.