pricing feedback from a guest

Ozan58
Level 2
Coppell, TX

pricing feedback from a guest

Hello,

I just got a strange ( at least to me ) a review from a guest saying " locals paying spring break rates".

In all fairness as hosts there is no way or maybe even reason to differentiate where our guest are coming from. In another perspective I would assume, the same rule which i follow for myself, each person is supposed to do their own due diligence regardless the area (within the area we live or not) that they are planning to spend their time and book accordingly.

if this is something that anyone faced and/or challenged with Airbnb , i would be very happy to hear their feedback. 

I think i get a little emotional when during the stay and when my guests checkout dont raise any concern and on the contrary they give extremely positive feedback but reviews somehow dont reflect the messages between me and the guests by any means

BR

Ozan

5 Replies 5

@Ozan58  One more great example of why the "Value" rating shouldn't exist, as most customers are not qualified to make this kind of appraisal.

In this case, the guest seems to be implying that high-season pricing is based on penalizing out-of-town tourists, and that perhaps "locals" deserve to be charged a discounted rate. But if you have premium rates for Spring Break, your prices are just following the high demand, and it would make no business sense for you to incentivize stays from locals in high-tourism seasons. 

For reference, the entire review reads:  "missed a few spots cleaning locals paying spring breakers prices"   While the review would fail a grammar test, it appears to pass Airbnb's content policy requirements, so there's no use in challenging it. Your public response is gracious and reflects well on you as a host; I think you've already done exactly what you needed to do.

It's important as a host to keep an open mind to constructive feedback, but this guest didn't leave you anything useful to go on. Unless the guest revisits your listing for some reason, he'll never see your Public Response (the audience for that is your future prospective guests), so you might want to write him a private message asking for more detailed feedback about the cleaning. Or, you could just let it be a takeaway that when people feel they're paying an inflated price, they're likelier to be critical and fussy.

Also - peak-season tourists have a reputation for being kinda basic.

Thanks Andrew, regarding cleaning; that is extremely and personally important to me. whenever we visit the condo we have the same cleaning  partner  and they would never know if i am the next guest or not so i have a proper sense of what my guests do receive. Until now was not let down.   I have until now never received a complain about cleaning and my cleaning partners and i would have made it right if we were given a heads up. 

as I mentioned in my post also our guest have been communicating with us in such a positive way including their plan to come back with the kids again, 🙂  i was quite surprised to see such a feedback but anyhow all feedback is critical and there are lessons to be learned out of that in a way or other.

for the rest of your comments I fully agree and i do appreciate you taking the time to reply.

with my kind regards

Ozan

@Ozan58   It boggles the mind that a guest would expect to be welcomed back to a host's home after giving them a negative review. But some people really do have the nerve...

my view is , in general ,  we lost totally the empathy in our lives. We as a family is did a significant investment for our condo and doing all we can to do things right for people who stays there. for me my close family, friend or a guest is the same.

People never thinks how they would feel or impact their next stays,   host would have left that they were not clean guests for small issues. I do personally rent from airbnb and other platforms &  prefer to keep it between me and the host unless a catastrophe or bad intentions from a host. While i do expect all honesty for a review at the same time i do also expect people to be honest with me during the stay not only when the time for reviews come than i read the intention/review  is not as  honest as it needs to be.

what can i say...

Leslie-and-Paul0
Level 2
Canmore, Canada

I have been dung a couple of times lately by guests wanting to stay for less than my property taxes let alone all other expenses can allow. One stated "during the time of this pandemic you think your prices would be cheaper."  4 stars.  family of6 staying for $110 Canadian per night all in.  Cheaper than a youth hostel, camp grounds with electricity cost $60.  They know the prices in advance. Also lost a star on location, we are in the Canadian Rockies, did someone move the unit?