problem con guest

Raymond308
Level 2
Milan, Italy

problem con guest

Hi, 

I had to guests that they stayed with me for 9 nights; during their stay they were breaking the rules, such as the kitchen is not provided in my listing but they were using it for 3 days for cooking and everything, then I asked them please follow the house rules. he let the kitchen so dirty after I asked them. moreover, when they left I found a glass and soap dish in bathroom broken and they have split some oily liquid on bed. the 4 layers of sheets have a big stain now that not going away with professional cleaning. and also the mattress has a very big yellow stain with the same oily liquid! the room was left dirty not in a normal way, it seems they have done it on purpose! they were also throwing away trashes in the common space of condominium! and also in the food garbage they were throwing glass, bottles, plastics and ... in the principal trash cans of condominium! the building administration took photos and sent to me, and asked me to pay penalties for that!!! even when I asked them to not do it again, they did the day after again!!!
I texted him and sent him photos and asked him if could tell me what was the liquid split on bed, and he said I do not know what are you talking about! I send him the photos of broken stuffs he said again I don't know what they are!!! 
How is it possible? he is also a host in UK and he has 3 listings! apparently he is superhost too !!! 

I asked for reimbursement of the damages he did and he denied it and ignored again! and he left me a review !!! 
I am a superhost and my listing as not a listing just for business purpose, I meet people, make friends and enjoy the community!!! 

I am trying to manage the problem of reimbursement with airbnb and I have photos of everything, however they are really slow these days and have not responded me yet! 

on the other hand, I really do not know what should I do with the review he left me! is there any policy on airbnb to measure the truthfully of reviews? 
for example a guest who damaged your amenities and you ask reimbursement  he would obviously write you sth. that could not show the reallity! specially when he is ignoring the fault! since he is a host too, he is abusing his knowing of airbnb to travel on community and making this harmful experience to another host! 

11 Replies 11
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Raymond308 

As a host you can claim money for the damages from the guest via the resolution centre:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/352/what-happens-if-a-host-wants-to-collect-on-their-security-de...

I would suggest to be more strict to such guests.If they continue to not respect your houserules or accommodation, shorten the reservation to the next day.  If they do not want to accept, call Airbnb to cancel it.

BTW I do not (yet) see a negative review on your account

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I don't see any negative review on your profile, either. 

And I would second Emiel's advice- don't allow guests to just keep breaking the rules and being disrespectful- if they refuse to comply with your rules, boot them out.@Raymond308

yes @Sarah977  you are right. as I explained since I have not written a review, his review also is not published yet. I was so worried to boot them out, because I was thinking they will write me a bad review if I do so. this is a pressure that as a host I have on me! 

According to hundreds of posts by hosts I've read over the years, guests like this always tend to leave bad reviews anyway, regardless of how you deal with them. So it's not worth letting someone be disrespectful of you and your home in fear of a bad review. 

This is how Airbnb gets hosts to let guests do whatever they want- out of fear of a bad review.

A bad review from a bad guest isn't going to ruin your hosting business, especially when you have pages full of good reviews. And you have the option to leave a response to a review if you feel you need to. (Sometimes a guest like this leaves the kind of review that ends up making the guest sound like a nutcase, and future guests will dismiss it as an outlier in light of all your other great reviews).

Just make sure any response you leave states the facts and doesn't speak to the guest who wrote the review- responses are just to correct lies or misinformation for future guests who may be reading that review. So if the guest complains that you didn't let him use the kitchen, you just say something like "It is clearly stated in the listing info that there is no kitchen usage here. This is why it's so important for guests to read the information provided before booking a listing." 

And you know what? Often people who try to take advantage, are demanding and entitled and disrespectful, will shape up if they realize they are up against someone who won't allow themselves to be disrespected. If you let those types get away with stuff, they don't appreciate it, they just see you as weak and try to take even more liberties. It's not worth trying to please them or avoid a potential bad review. Much better to get them out of your house before they have a chance to break stuff and make you feel like a prisoner in your own home.

@Raymond308

@Sarah977  thank you for your recommendation. I will follow it from now on in my future reservations. 
However, I think it would be really helpful for hosts if airbnb regulates some review regulations due to transparency and reliability of the reviewers. 

for example, if a guest is complaining about being dirty the house, and the host could prove their attitude and how they made a mess during their stay, the review could be deleted. or for example who is complaining about not having access to the kitchen, it is really irrelevant when there is mentioned in the description and also the host before accepting the reservation is getting confirm about it!.  in this way there would be less pressure on hosts about false reviews. and the community will be more transparent for the future reservations and guest. 

Raymond308
Level 2
Milan, Italy

@Emiel1 
Yes I already started the damage claim process by airbnb. 
you are right. I had to ask them to shorten their stay. but my fear was if I do so, they will write anyway bad review. 
about the review after I messaged him about the damages he denied it and responded me in a bad way! and meanwhile he wrote a review. it does not seem to me he was an honest person when he did not take the responsibility of what he did, to expect him to write an honest review! 
since I have not yet written a review for him, his review is not published yet. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Raymond308 It is very unlikely that you can remove his review unless it breaks the rules which it probably won't. The important things to do are 1) Leave an honest review of the guest and 2) think very carefully as to how you respond to his review - The former helps other hosts avoid this guest, the latter will hopefully negate his review somewhat.

Thank you Mike and Jane, 

I did as you said. However it is really sad to have not a truthfull review in my page

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Raymond308   You have over 200 reviews and have managed to keep a 4.9+ rating.  You are pretty bad review safe from any effect of a bad review.  Perhaps you are not comfortable with confrontation and thus let the bad behavior of the guest go on too long.  At the time of the orientation to the home rules, you would emphasize no kitchen access.  While many of us use previous reviews or host status to allow guests in our home, I think your own experience interacting with the guest is more important and relevant.  

Thank you Linda, 

The only thing is that it is really heart breaking to have a not honest review on my page! and it is written by hate! I tried my best to respond in an appropriate way and leave an honest review for him. 
thank you for your answer .-) 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you responded to address inaccuracies? @Raymond308