"Cancellation"

Jamie129
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

"Cancellation"

So a guest just "cancelled" on the day of their check-in, but more alarmingly, after I sent them the instructions on the cottage, how to get in, etc.

The cottage is 3 hours away, and I am too busy today with other plans to make my way there.

I do recieve a little less than 1 day of fees, but the person is there for 3, and I can't get there within this window...

Is there a way to notify Airbnb and get the full amount, as I am convinced this person might head there. 

5 Replies 5
Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

@Jamie129

The guest canceled according to Airbnb flexible policy so presumably they are not coming. Why would they pay for 2 more days because you cannot check on the home. Your issue of not being able to check is not their responsibility.

What would Airbnb say to the guest "Even though the host has a flexible cancelation, he is too busy to check on the home so can you please pay for 2 more days to ease his nerves."

Maybe you could pay a neighbor to check?

They would pay for two more days for the following reasons:

1. It is a weekend.  Do you not think I could book the cottage up for a complete weekend during the summer?   Answer:  All weekends are booked.

2.  The person asked for the cottage information, keys, etc. and then cancelled their reservation.  

3.  When I drive up to a cottage for 3 hours, prepare the booking, clean it, leave out supplies, etc. then drive back, am I compensated for my efforts?  Answer?  No.   So why should I then need to drive up another 3 hours to check on guests who decided to use a property and not pay for it? 

When given the lost income (weekend), time (3+ hours) and situation (getting information, then cancelling) you don't think that a person should be paid?  They cancelled 1 hour before their weekend booking.    

Is this possible with other such businesses? 

@Jamie129

1. Then you should change your cancelation setting from flexible to moderate or strict for those very reasons. But as it stands, they canceled according to the policy YOU set up. None of this other stuff is their problem. Mine is moderate to cover lost income since I book every weekend too.

2. Guests cancel, maybe give checkin instructions on checkin day?

3. Again, they cancelled. They should not be using it and if they are, you can call Airbnb for assstance but they shouldnt have to pay extra just for you to check and confirm, thats the hosts problem. All of the time, cost and arrangements are your cost of doing business and should be averaged out in your fee.

A few simple tweaks will make these issues go smoother in the future (adjusting cancelation policy, giving checkin instructions last minute, finding a local to check on the property...). But no one else is responsible for the inconveniences of this cancelation if you didn`t set it up to cover your own time and cost.

Begs the question why you chose a fFexible cancellation policy, you have listed some very good reasons to have Moderate if not Strict?

David
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

You point out a vulnerability in the platform, @Jamie129, especially for hosts who are remote to the listing site. Giving guests check in information can compromise the security of your home if they get it in advance.  Perhaps in your situation, going to a moderate cancellation policy and sending the check in instructions within the time frame they would have to pay for cancellation.

I don't think you would be able to get compensated beyond what your current cancellation policy allows, however.  Having a flexible cancellation policy is attractive to potential guests, but it does have its drawbacks for the host.