"Cancelled by Airbnb" Halfway Into Guest's Reservation - Guest had to move in 2 hours, Host / Guest Perplexed`

Joan104
Level 2
Norwalk, CT

"Cancelled by Airbnb" Halfway Into Guest's Reservation - Guest had to move in 2 hours, Host / Guest Perplexed`

My guest moved in 5 days ago for an 18 day booking. No problems, no complaints on either side. Today suddenly her booking was "cancelled by Airbnb" and Airbnb asked her (by phone) to leave immediately because she's "under investigation." Airbnb won't tell me why but they keep emailing me from the Trust and Safety Department. Guest begged me to let her stay and pay me privately. I said no.

I already got the whole payout since check-in was 5 days ago. Even so, Airbnb hinted to me that they would calculate the amount of the payout once I confirmed that this guest moved out. I have a strict cancellation policy on all my listings. Anyone have experience with this? Can I expect to be paid the  whole payout if I don't get any further bookings on this space for those dates? Or will Airbnb claw back the difference in their next payout to me for a different guest? Also, I understand if Airbnb needs to maintain confidentiality with any guest issues but why can't they at least tell me if this person is dangerous? So that's 2 questions there: financial and danger. Thanks in advance. 

22 Replies 22

Update 2: Guest said Airbnb told her today that the abrupt cancellation was due to 1 bad review. She is now banned from using the platform. (Hearsay, yes, and I mention it here in case we hear the same story from others.)

My ousted guest said she paid to stay at a prior listing and then felt unsafe after she moved in. As a result, Airbnb said she could leave that listing and gave her a credit for a future stay. She used that credit to move into my listing. My listing for 18 nights was $100 less than her credit which means her credit was $600. When her 18-night stay in my listing was cancelled by Abb after 5 nights, they did not roll her credit over and said she wasn't getting any refund for unused nights.

My assumption is that the prior host disputed not getting paid $600 for the prior stay (perhaps among other reasons). The prior host also didn't house the guest for any nights. The guest paid that amount in dollars to Airbnb; it was converted to a credit at some point, and she is not getting a refund in dollars or in a credit for any of it even though she paid for 20 nights and stayed for 5. 

If we assume that all of the above facts are true, then this is what I'd look out for as a host:

1. Assume that any guest could lie anytime about anything + that Abb will potentially take your side one day and the guest's side the next day. So, make sure there's physical evidence to backup your claim against the guest or your claim that you are innocent.

2. Do your own screening of guests and decline any guest who's responses (and reviews) are unacceptable. Airbnb does not screen people. 

3. Consider having guests sign a written agreement when they enter your listing. The agreement could outline the expectations and rules. This is allowed by Airbnb.

I rent in a suburban area. Housing has gotten very tight the past 18 months and I'm faced with more tricks from potential tenants/guests than I've seen in 20+ years as a landlord and 9+ years as a host. I do all of the above. I'm open to other suggestions from y'all as the US housing market evolves. Thanks a bunch. 

@Joan104 

she said Airbnb banned her to use Airbnb again ... except if she uses another phone number and another email and registers under another nick 🙂

Btw, if you click on her profile ... does it still exist?

But I wonder...

she paid 600$  for the first accommodation and canceled...

Airbnb kept 600$ and gave her credit...

and then she paid you with this credit....

you received 600$----

Airbnb cancels.....

and now refund the remained nights from your next payment.....

and then what?? Does Airbnb keep it? Or refund the guest in cash? Or with another credit which she can't use bc she is banned from Airbnb???

Airbnb told me (@Joan104) on Friday (4 days after they cancelled the booking + evicted the tenant) that:

a. Abb would normally deduct money equivalent to all unused nights (n=14) from the host's next payout, however this situation was exempt from that rule because the guest used a credit to pay for her booking with me. They said the guest gets no refund even though she is not staying at a booking for 14 nights that she already paid for. They also said that all the terms specifying what happens in these situations (i.e. the deduction from a future payout) are part of the host terms, specifically that hosts need to cooperate with any decision from the trust and safety department or any kind of investigation. The host can appeal any decision at any time using the appeals process. This info was directly from trust and safety dept by phone + by email.  This department did not tell me the reason why the guest was banned but they did tell me that it was definitely an issue of safety and that I'm better off without this guest in my house.

b. "Airbnb is not that shallow." - customer care rep after I told her the situation and questioned whether Abb blocked this guest because of one horrible review. The rep further said that the guest would have to exhibit a pattern of Abb-rule-breaking in order to be banned. However, the rep had no information about why this guest was banned or ousted. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Joan104 @Susan89 

I hope you can get some answers, either from Airbnb or the offended guests themselves.

If this is going to be a regular occurrence due to yet another malfunction in the Airbnb program I will be offering guests the opportunity to pay cash to complete their stay.

I wonder if this might have something to do with the guests attempting to book off-platform at some other time.

Obviously Airbnb hates that, but it’s easy to see why people do it, especially if these abrupt, unexplained cancellations are going to become a common thing.

The implied suggestion that it could be a “safety issue” curdles my gizzard. I just don’t believe it.

Besides that, if Airbnb does have a safety concern, they are seriously late in stating it if the guests have checked in already.

Whatever the real reason is, I expect that Airbnb, and the hosts, have lost those customers forever.

Thanks for your support and thoughts on this. All good points Brian!

Msg me if you want to continue this discussion. justjoanee on aol. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Joan104 @Helen3 @Colleen253 @Susan89 

Assuming that what the terminated guest said is true (and it seems plausible) does this mean that Airbnb Automated is going to make an effort to track objectionable guests?

I don’t think they have been doing that, but they could, although it would probably not be helpful.

Even if they are unable to open new, clean accounts, they can always get someone else to book for them.

If they were really horrible, to the point of outrageous criminal behavior, their “known associates” could be easily identified and banned as well.

And oh, what a tangled web that could produce.

I guess we’re all, guests and hosts alike, going to have to be extremely cautious about writing negative reviews or filing complaints.

The best way for Airbnb to avoid bad news is to kill the messenger.

@Brian2036 That's a very intelligent response. Thanks for commenting. 

Jackie374
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

I would rather Airbnb cancel than all my Jewelry etc go missing !!!! Even if they can't say

Being Soo nice can sometimes be a distraction

Jacqueline OKeeffe