"Cleaning Fees" listed separately, deceptive AirBnB

"Cleaning Fees" listed separately, deceptive AirBnB

AirBnB is a joke with published rates. Hosts lowball on the nightly rate, then charge $70 for a cleaning?  That's for one night or 5.
Looking at a room in Nassua, $80 for the night, $69 cleaning = $149. Seriously, pathetic excuse for transparent pricing.

This site asks us to be nice to each other, how about being nice to travellers by being honest. Any Host can lowball the rate and rack up the cleaning fee. Anyone else agree this is deceptive?

They need to include all fees in pricing. 

Another host lists a $100 fee and $29 cleaning fee = $129.

It's impossible to compare without going through each listing.

And this is a good service?

162 Replies 162
Badreldin0
Level 1
Monterey, CA

Cleaning fee is for the entire stay not per night. 

People who do not own a house or rent on Airbnb are probably the ones having an issue with a large cleaning fee. As an Airbnb host who rents out a 5 bedroom house, filled with amenities, I know how hard it is to clean up after a guest who has stayed at the house. Washing all 5 bedsheets, pillowcases etc., Vaccuuming and cleaning up the kitchen and taking out garbage, especially if you have new guests each day is a lot of work. On top of that, if you are a host that is not able to  clean the house yourself due to the work schedule, or if your own home is 2 hours away (like mine is), try to find a cheap cleaning service that will clean your entire home in under 3 hours? The cleaning fee that hosts charge is reasonable. They have to spend a lot of money hiring expensive cleaning services to clean up after their guests, and its a lot of work. If only you were in OUR shoes. 

It is fair to charge a cleaning fee. We just want that fee to be reflected in the price listed. If I find a 100/n place with a 20 dollar cleaning fee, I would pefer that to a similar 80/n place with a   100 cleaning fee 

But it is reflected in the price listed, so long as you put in specific dates. 

Perhaps it was at one point. It is no longer showing any other fees other than the price listed. The cleaning/service fee are only shown after you click Book. There really should be, at least, a filter option that says "Include Service/Cleaning fee on Search Results".

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@ Sharnelle It works for me - i just checked my own listing by searching as a traveller.  If I just search on location it just shows the £38 price - if I put in dates it divides the £20 cleaning fee by the number of nights, so shows £43 per night for a 4 night stay.  Are you using a mobile device?

Exactly!

I was going to book a place that was listed at about 136 a night for 2 nights.

When I hit the "book" key, it came back over 400.00

Well, of course, I didn't book.

The listing never mentioned the additional fees.

So, that is misleading as far as I am concerned.  I do realize people need the places cleaned up, but...

Just add it to the nightly, weekly or monthly fee. It's deceptive to add a cleaning fee when advertising a certain price. After all, aren't the places supposed to be clean? You sound like it's a privilege to stay in a CLEAN home. It's supposed to be clean. 

Angelyn1
Level 4
Lubbock, TX

As a host, Airbnb lists cheaper listings at the top of the views.

we are encouraged to list our properties crazy low. And give huge discounts for weekly and monthly stays. There is no comparison for cleanliness or quality.

i Dan provide 

Mamadou0
Level 2
Boston, MA

Whatever your perspective is about this cleaning fee issue, I believe that this whole situation does not help much the spirit that created Airbnb in the first place.  It is supposed to be a community affair that alleviates the burden of the greedy hotel industry. When its members start arguing about profit and loss, something is really wrong here. The same logic that justifies today the exponential cleaning fees will also pave the way for a new kind of fees very soon. Did you notice that the last B in AirBnB is about Breakfast that is virtually never served?  To disproportionate cleaning fees proponents, I have this to say: how about adding some hidden extra breakfast fees?
Thank you.

I am sure the spirit was the making some money one, not sure they ever thought they would be so succesful.

AirBnB is Air Bed no Breakfast. Not that it really matters, my experience has been most AirBnb Guests prefer the lower price to Breakfast.

David
Nola7
Level 1
Seal Beach, CA

I was recently charged a $60 cleaning fee for a one-night stay in Santa Clarita.  The fee was disclosed so I knew I was being charged but when I got to the location there was a long list of duties I was to perform before leaving the premise such as....strip sheets/place at bottom of stairs, empty trash, run dishwasher etc... what the heck are they charging $60 for when they are asking me to clean up after myself.  Ridiculous!  This experience has made me rethink using airb&b;  rethink as in no thank you.

@Nola7 some hosts don't even have a cleaning fee, and don't ask much of guests other than to not damage the property.

I would think this should leave you critical of that specific host, not of AirBnB in general.

@Matthew285@Nola7

I do not have a cleaning fee and would prefer the room was not left a mess but do not ask Guests to do anything, I would rather they did not some are so ultra tidy I look in the room and try to remember if I have made it up already. I think I may have cleaned a room twice because of this.

David