"Open with Google Maps" location is different from the real one

Answered!
Pedro393
Level 2
Porto, Portugal

"Open with Google Maps" location is different from the real one

Today I experienced a problem from the guest point of view. 

If a guest opens the reservation, clicks on the address and then "Open with Google Maps" the address is a wrong one, a couple of numbers down the street.

Since I cannot change this from the host point of view, I was hoping the community could help me!

1 Best Answer
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

Assuming you send your guests a message during the week before their arrival or a "thank you booking I would simply mention this observation within that message. Encourage them to enter your address manually when programming whatever GPS app or unit they are using.

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Pedro393 ,

The address is provided by you in the listing settings. If it is correct, than it is a failure of Google maps not displaying the right location (and nothing to be corrected by you).

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

Assuming you send your guests a message during the week before their arrival or a "thank you booking I would simply mention this observation within that message. Encourage them to enter your address manually when programming whatever GPS app or unit they are using.

Thanks Susan. That would be a fix! But I think we should work towards making an integrated system work well, rather than just fixing it with "bandaids"... if you know what I mean 😉 Have a great day!

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Pedro393 @Susan151 @Emiel1

If you report this to google maps they will fix it.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/3094088

Thank you Lisa! I will try that. Although it is not something wrong with the GMap or my address. My address exists and it is listed on GMaps. It is the "redirection" from Airbnb to Google maps that shws a wrong location.

Maybe that is how I will describe it to them... although I doubt that it's on their workscope to fix it... fingers crossed! 😄

Shauna28
Level 3
Washington, DC

Pedro, I had this same issue! A recent guest ended up on the wrong side of town because the Airbnb redirect to Google maps sends them to an address that doesn't exist! Unfortunately, this happened several times in the past and I updated my listing and welcome message to reflect this, but the fix needs to come from Airbnb or Google.  (Airbnb support suggested I contact Google to report the issue, but, as in your case, the problem only seems to occur when using the address link from the Airbnb listing--entering the address directly into Google maps is no problem.)  Please let me know if you've had any resolution in your case.  

Stefan402
Level 1
Weißenbrunn, Germany

I've had that very probem numerous times, this time it's particularly odd: in Airbnb for Android the in-App Google map of Airbnb appears to show the correct location, but following the link the location is then wrongly shown in the gmaps App- miles away on the opposite side of a lake.

I remember at least four times when this happened before, in Germany, Sweden & Norway.

The only solution I've found so far is to ask hosts to sent gmaps links (tinyurl) or, even more reliable, map coordinates via message- when I'd noticed the discrepancy in advance.

But I was shocked more than once after booking thinking that I'd actually booked a place miles away from where I thought it would be... and once I actually did, I annoyingly booked a place that seemed to be within walking distance from a wedding venue but then turned out to be over 5 km away...

Alexandre469
Level 2
Cancún, Mexico

I am experiencing the same problem. As you describe, the adress is correct in the listing and when we manually enter the adress in Google maps it works too. But when my guests clicked on the link in Airbnb, the location was on the other side of the town, 40 minutes drive away. 

Pedro393
Level 2
Porto, Portugal

The worst part is that I am getting bad "accuracy" review points because of this.
This tread is marked as solved so I better start a new one, to see if we get some new developments or a better suggestion from AirBnb.