"someone" threw something in the toilet!

Jorge314
Level 2
Miami, FL

"someone" threw something in the toilet!

Me and my wife are new hosts, and just on my second guest....  "someone" threw something in the toilet. The toilet was fine before they came.  I had to call the plumber and thank god it was only $50 for his trip. The toiled passed the "thing"...

I had asked for $150 deposit. My problem is that the guest left a really good review and she is only my second guest....

now...my question is...

A) Should I charge her for throwing "the thing" in the toilet? (assuming it was her and that the thing was something that shouldn't be inside a toilet) 

B) Should I exchange the $50 for the review and take it like a man?  

4 Replies 4
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

What’s done is done. Consider it a cost of doing business. 

But also be honest about what happened.  Let the guest know what happened she may decide to compensate you.  Also unless we have rules about certain things guests will live as they do at home which is often not as we would necessarily think is reasonable.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Difficult tpocomment without knowing full details.

You would need to show your guest did something which no reasonable person would do to start with.

We seem to see a lot of blocked toilet thread, I have not come across one I could not unblock yet, what did you do before calling a Plumber?

David
Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

@Jorge314:  Boy can I sympathize!  We have a septic system out in a very rural area, so our listing and House Rules talk about protecting the septic system, and we have fine food strainers in the sink, and a nice hot grease disposal container.  After about 30 Guests, we had a young family with two boys and an infant.  They left our home in a mess, even leaving dirty diapers laying in the corner of the brand new Master Bedroom.  From that visit on, for the past 9 months, we've had issues flushing the toilets; air going throughout the pipes when the washer drains, etc.  Then, two months ago, in between back to back Guests, our septic backed up into the tub while we were doing laundry.  We had to call an emergency septic pump the next day (over $500).  The pumper found the diaper.  The septic tank was plugged at the outflow pipe when the diaper jammed the opening and the waste wouldn't flow out of the tank, and it gradually filled up.  The over $500 bill was because of one diaper from a family that wouldn't read our rules.  It stinks, but my advice is that this is an unfortunate cost of doing business, and you use it as a deduction to reduce your tax burden.