recent host experience

Gemma171
Level 2
Harbertonford, United Kingdom

recent host experience

I’ve recently started hosting in Devon. The prices on the market locally to me are all over the place. I started off well with 4/7 nights booked. Although now things have gone quiet. I still have not managed to get my 5 reviews. Although I have 3x 5 star reviews.

Is there any tips to boost bookings other than dropping my prices? How does one stay on top of rankings? Does anyone in Rural Devon get business guests?

thanks.

16 Replies 16
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Gemma171 

Welcome to CC

Have you looked in CC using related keywords in the Search Box ?

Many of us have been caught out with msgs to lower prices with Smart Pricing , however it's simply a mechanism that's not always benefical, if people are looking they are.

Have you looked at other listings in your area to compare there prices etc with yours & how they are doing?

One must cover one's costs & be happy with the calibre of people one wishes to share one's home with.

All the Best

Central To All Home & Location

Gemma171
Level 2

Thanks for the reply,

i have done all all of the above. I’m just waiting to see if things pick up after my first 5 reviews. There seems to be 2 that are not showing, yet.

im curious if things get faster once your a super host and in a collection.

I don’t think I can change much, and I’m happy with my pricing until more reviews come up.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What other platforms are you listed on @Gemma171 ?

Have you spoken to your local tourist board about advertising on their platform?

I wouldn't rely on just one marketing channel.

Hosts get an artifical boost when they first list to get those first bookings and after that you are back in the ranks with other listings.

Superhosts supposedly get a boost in the listings.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Have you stayed at Airbnbs? This is a great way to figure what works and what doesn't

Do not lower your prices because airbnb tells you to. Match your competitors pricing

Jane1056
Level 2
Pittenweem, United Kingdom

I too am fairly new to Airbnb and am waiting on my first 5 x 5* reviews. My frustration is that I only seem to get bookings for 2 nights at the weekend and after I have paid the cleaner and the laundry company that doesn't leave much profit. 

I was advised to offer short stays but I am wondering whether this is stopping other people booking a longer holiday as the weekends are getting snatched up quickly? Should I only offer bookings for 4 nights or more to boost my income or not? What are other peoples experiences of this?

With regards to pricing, I am perhaps a little more expensive on a nightly basis to my competitors but I charge less for a cleaning fee and have a more spacious home. I think you should be competitive but happy with the price you are asking for at the same time.

@Jane1056 wrote:

>I am perhaps a little more expensive on a nightly basis to my competitors but I charge less for a cleaning fee and have a more spacious home.

Guests first see the nightly rate and react to that. I'd try decreasing the nightly rate and increasing the cleaning fee to compensate. That ends up cheaper for guests that make longer bookings too.

Gemma171
Level 2

I am offering 1 night minimum stays and have a cleaning fee although its not high it helps somewhat. I clean the room myself so it covers etc electric and cleaning products used. My bookings are spread over the weekend and weekdays. Most often Friday night. I have had 7 stays so far. One of those being a late night last minute booking as I have recently changed to a lock box and late check in.

I think if your in a known holiday area and very central than its worth having 2 nights or more minimum stay but if your rural like me than its better to be flexible. I have even lowered my prices if the room is empty the next day to encourage people to book so that way It’s not empty.

If you have higher outgoings than me this wont help, and Ive also now got a worry that dropping my price will get me different kinds of last minute guests. The last guest was loud obnoxious and inconsiderate, so I think I will keep my unhooked room at the same price to avoid this possibility. That being said I had another last minute lower rate booking and they were lovely.. so I am undecided.

For some reason my reviews are not showing up either, it says 100% reviewed but there is only 3 reviews not 7. Very frustrating as Iwant my first 5 star reviews.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Gemma171 

Have a scan around here in CC, you will find some great tips from other Hosts to help put you a ease.

I tdoesn't matter if a place is booked or not to others generally as  there's all manner if reason's why they may not be.

Keep an eye on your Dashboard for your reviews to some through, however not everyone writes reviews for whatever reason.

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

Good luck and stick with it Gemma. Don't follow Airbnbs persistant drop your price, lower your minimum stay recommendations. Booking will happpen eventually if there is a demand for what you're offering where you are. Good luck

I changed the Headline (is it?) until I saw a great effect.

First it was: "Nice room", then "Large nice room, central", 

and then to "Large cosy room in a quiet cetral area - free WIFI"

That last headline gave me a real boost! 

Just try to find an convinient first words to present your dwelling. And of cource nice pictures!

Hi @Gemma171 

Welcome to the wonderful (and sometimes slightly crazy) world of hosting! It can take time to build up your reputation and bookings, my advice is to keep plugging away. There are a few things you can do to draw interest:

1. Make the most of your property -can you improve the exterior /interior?
  2. Optimize your listings - make sure it highlights all the great features you offer
  3. Makeover your titles, a catchy title can make a huge difference.
  4. Use great photographs - declutter, add flowers, make sure your lighting is right, etc (you could look at get some professional photo's done, but this might cost you)!
  5. Consider adding a video to your listing to show off your property fully.
  6. Find your USP - who's your target market? If it's families go all out on making your place kid friendly.
  7. Offer experiences, join forces with local attractions and offer your place in conjunction with outward bound experiences e.g. horseriding, or maybe offer hiking/walking tours or painting sessions with a local artisan? Lots of options. 
  8. Make your rental appeal all year round. If you're near a beach flag it up and make your place the perfect summer retreat. In the winter sell it as a cozy bolthole complete with stormy seaside vistas, snug-as-a-bug throws, and complimentary hot chocolate.
  9. Check out your pricing strategy  -what are your competitors charging? Can you change your prices in line with demand?

Marketing is key, I have had a massive push on this myself recently and with a bit of hard work, I've managed to increase interest and get more bookings. I now promote via Instagram and social media and have partnered with a couple of local attractions (we promote each other via websites etc). 

Anyway, I've been doing my research, here's a couple of things I found useful if you fancy taking a look:

https://www.igms.com/vacation-rental-marketing/

https://www.airbnbtips.com/airbnb-marketing/

Keep smiling, fingers crossed you will start to get more bookings soon!

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

great advice

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Kate-Mary0 I don’t see that you have any listings. I thought that I could study your listings to get some insights. 

@Mike1034 

@Kate-Mary0 has been regularly spamming the CC for at least 2 years now with her AirGMS links, but for whatever reason, the mods appear happy to turn a blind eye.

Yet just last week, when a law enforcement officer called Robert posted about an excellent plan he has for an Airbnb security/monitoring service in US cities that are being ravaged every weekend by out-of-control Airbnb parties - and where hosts are in desperate need of such a service - the entire thread was deleted. 

One rule for one, one rule for another. Go figure.