recent host experience

Gemma171
Level 2
Harbertonford, United Kingdom

recent host experience

I’ve recently started hosting in Devon. The prices on the market locally to me are all over the place. I started off well with 4/7 nights booked. Although now things have gone quiet. I still have not managed to get my 5 reviews. Although I have 3x 5 star reviews.

Is there any tips to boost bookings other than dropping my prices? How does one stay on top of rankings? Does anyone in Rural Devon get business guests?

thanks.

16 Replies 16
Gemma171
Level 2
Harbertonford, United Kingdom

I do have a listing?!

Bill230
Level 1
Easton, NH

Recently, in the past fortnight or so, we have had two not so good experiences. This inspired me to write in a review: "sometimes it feels like you (me) are just feeding the maw of madness, mobility madness". To assuage the insanity, to mitigate the madness (somewhat), I propose a "rent tax", payable to the "local" Indigenous Natives, in our case, the Abenakis, upon whose land we dwell. It makes good sense for us, living/hosting (Tamarack Lodge) at what I call the epicenter of the natural world, the home of the ancient totem tree, marks the spot where "Abenaki Woman" Discovered Maple Sugar, the sweetest substance known to man. 

I paid a "rooms and meals" tax to the State of NH. Airbnb stepped in and paid, starting in Nov. 2017. This freed up some precious capital: (9%/mo.). 9% "rent tax" sound about right? Payable to: First Nations/100 Nations, natural inhabitants of Turtle Island, upon whose land we dwell! Can Airbnb help, the great equalizer of wealth?