red dot on the calendar, what does it mean?

Answered!
William286
Level 2
Danville, CA

red dot on the calendar, what does it mean?

I do not understand what the red dot is on the calendar?  It seems to be mostly on the week days?  Does it mean my place is not available?

1 Best Answer

Thank you-the site is just advising me to lower the price for better likelihood of bookings...

thanks!

View Best Answer in original post

20 Replies 20
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @William286 ,

i suggest you click on it and read what's on right side of the screen

Best, Emiel

Thank you-the site is just advising me to lower the price for better likelihood of bookings...

thanks!

Three days ago ... every day on the calendar had a specific rate such as ($300) ... but now all it will do is display a (dot) and when I check the info for that (dot) ... it has changed from what I put in it.  It was much easier to simply read the calendar and know that what the rate was any given day because the rate was displayed on each date.

Erinne0
Level 3
Toronto, Canada

There is nothing on the right side of the screen when I click on my days with red dots, yet the red dot is there and won't go away. No price hints, nothing. 

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Erinne0 Its the price tips under the nightly price, it wants me to lower price to £37, I would rather be empty.

Untitled4.jpg.png

Thanks  for your reply Jeff - I don't have that notification, just the red dot  - though when I lowered my price the dot went away so I get it - but they failed to explain the symbol in my case. I agree - I get tired of being told to lower prices. It's basic business to lower prices if one wants more sales, but often not worth it. (Same with the constant notifications to switch to instant book - never in a million years!)

Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 2.25.06 PM.png

@Jeff158  I get the message you display when the calendar has the lightbulb but there is no message for the red dot.  And no HELP information either!

I had the same issue and finally resorted to Googling it to get here. I'm a little tired of AirBnB telling me what my rate should be. I had a brick and mortar Bnb in Lahaina Maui for 20 years and know the market. My building is the most popular in West Maui  (Lahaina Shores) and Airbnb knows nothing about it. It IS Maui! and it IS Lahaina! Go stay at one of the "we'll leave on" hotels in rainy Seattle...and the rate they suggest will be a deal. AirBnB - butt out! 

This price tip is actually represented by a green light bulb on the calendar.  A separate price tip will be shown for the red dot.  But I think it will not appear if the suggested price would be lower than a smart pricing minimum you may have set.

Jeremy129
Level 6
New South Wales, Australia

That price tip is from the light bulb not the red dot as far as I see from my listings

Ben420
Level 2
Bloomington, IN

I think I have the answer.  As with some others, I have the dot, but it does not show me any tips or price hints when I click on it.  I think this is because the suggested price would be lower than the minimum I have set for smart pricing.

Hello all! The red dot means that there is a low booking probability. The top left corner of the calander has a legend represented by "?" in which you can view descriptions of the symbols in your calandar. 

Mystery solved! Surprisingly, not rocket science... 🙂

Airbnb, the question mark usually means questions. Or FAQs.

How about putting the word Legend instead?

Or just put the legend already displayed.

BTW, your smart pricing isn't very smart. I had the minimum price in smart pricing set to $200 and SP turned on. Red dot displayed next to all of those $200 days. Clicked the Tip amount under the minimum field ($118) and the red dot didn't go away but the pricing on those days went up to $213. Although, two months down the road from today's date, a minimum price of $147 and no red dot are now showing. Move down a few more months and many of the summer dates are in the high $200's...and yes, with a red dot.

Question: If smart pricing is so smart and suggests a competitive price, why does it think there's a low probability of it getting rented at that rate on those dates? 

Seems kinda clunky and I think your algorithm needs some tweaking.