refunds for cancellation

Coco113
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

refunds for cancellation

A guest has cancelled due to the forthcoming second lockdown in the uk. Despite having a strict cancellation policy, I would like to give this guest a full refund. Should I wait until after the check-in date, i.e. after the payout for the 50% has been made to me, before making the refund? Or can I do it immediately? I am unclear if Airbnb still debit the guest for the 50% cancellation or not. I obviously don't want to be out of pocket.

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Yes, it's best to wait to see if you actually get paid or if Airbnb refunds them in full. Just let the guest know that your intention is that they get refunded 100% of what you would have received for the booking, but that Airbnb doesn't pay hosts out until 24 hours or more after the guest's check-in time (most guests don't know this, many think the host has their $ as soon as they pay for the booking), so at this point you have nothing to refund.

@Coco113

Coco113
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thank you!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Actually @Coco113  what I am doing is suggesting to guests they cancel under Covid.

Airbnb then contacts you as the host  to see if you want to voluntarily refund . I say yes. Airbnb refunds them.

much quicker and simpler than faffing about with waiting to refund post travel dates. 

Coco113
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Booking was made after March cut-off date so is not covers by extenuating circumstances/COVID policy.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Coco113 

if your messages between the guest and yourself agree a full refund then all the guest needs to do is have the helpline operator refer to said message and they will get all your money back.

if they’ve already cancelled then I suggest you wait to see what you get before refunding otherwise you will be out of pocket.