requiring a goverment issued ID

requiring a goverment issued ID

We are fairly new to hosting and I am running into a few issues that I hope someone can help me out on. I am not clear about the verification process. We have in our rules that we will only take reservations from guests who have submitted a government issued ID to Airbnb. Under reservation requirements, I checked the box that states "require guests to go through verification". We have instant booking on for guests who have submitted an ID, but I still get inquiries and booking requests from people that I end up declining because I have no way of knowing if they went back and submitted their ID. The guests that do follow through say it still wont let them book until I decline the request and then it works. I feel uncomfortable just taking their word for it that they followed through. A lot of people dont even respond.

My worry is that I am declining a bunch of people and this is a negative rating for me. And I am not sure what reason to check when Airbnb requires me to give a reason for declining it. I keep checking that I am "uncomfortable with the reservation" and then state in the explanantion that our policy requires a government issued ID so the guest can instant book. Am i missing something here that would make this easier? Any help would be appreciated!

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Christine3175  You can see if a guest has uploaded verified ID on inquiries and requests by clicking on their profile photo, which takes you to their profile page. You would do that regardless to be able to read any reviews they might have before deciding whether to accept their booking or not.

You don't ever have to decline Inquiries. Inquiries only require a return message. Only Requests need to be accepted or declined within 24 hours.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Christine3175 You can require all guests to be verified before they can request to book with you, by going through here,

https://www.airbnb.com/hosting/requirements

Do be aware that 'verified' means nothing in reality. The only reason I require guests to be verified is because Airbnb required me to verify my identity in order to continue hosting, and I feel it adds another useful layer to the guest vetting process.