reservation cancellation request - what would you do?

Laura2052
Level 2
Oshawa, Canada

reservation cancellation request - what would you do?

Hi everyone

I am ticked off by a message I just received from a guest who has booked into my Airbnb home until the beginning of October from Monday to Thursday and wants to cancel the last three weeks.  His message to me is as follows;

I just wanted to inform you that unexpectedly, I could find a good permanent place from September first so I do not need the last three reservations in your place starting from September 10th to the end of the month. I checked the cancelation policy and found that I will receive %50 minus the Airbnb fees if I cancel it 7 days before the check-in, however I can cancel it right now which we still have about four weeks from the first reservation and you have plenty of time to rent it again, so I was thinking you may generously want to give me a full refund minus Airbnb fees, or if you prefer, we can divide it, and I will be happy if you give me 25% on top of Airbnb 50% and I will cancel the reservations right away. Your decision whatever it be is understandable for me, and I will reflect your great hospitality in my review.
Thank you

I am feeling as though he is trying to blackmail me into giving him a refund he is not entitled to.  Had he just asked, and not written the sentence, I don't think that I would have had any issue refunding.  He has been a good guest for the last week, but is demanding in terms of price reductions, etc.

What would you do?

Thanks,

Laura

5 Replies 5
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Laura2052   Respond "If you cancel immediately I will galdly refund any days I can rebook after I am paid by AirBnB after the reservation date passes I am assured funds will be received." If he's pissing me off I might add in "As you can see, you are not completing the booking, so I am forced into this position." 

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

He is offering you a good review inexchange for a refund.  This is a big NO NO.  You should contact Airbnb immediately, show them his message, and ask Airbnb to intervene.  

I agree with you. 

Call Airbnb ASAP. He is blackmailing you and playing games with you.

@Michael956

I think that life changes all the time and since he canceled 4 weeks ahead of time that if it were me, I would allow the cancellation.  It is frustrating, but you don't want an unhappy guest and when I have had cancellations I usually have others that book after the dates open.  

Laura2052
Level 2
Oshawa, Canada

issue resolved after I asked Airbnb to intervene.  Thank you all for your help.  He will be receiving a refund if the space is rebooked.