resolution center has not responded and now I am being taken to court

Juliet2
Level 1
Milton, MA

resolution center has not responded and now I am being taken to court

I have a strict cancellation policy. A guest cancelled and I did not give any refund as I was unable to rerent the space. They had booked for 2 nights for 8 guests, total amount of $675. The guest asked airbnb to make a final resolution but I do not see anywhere where airbnb communicated a response to them. I only see what I wrote. I have just received a NOTICE OF TRIAL FROM SMALL CLAIMS COURT. Please advise. How do I get to speak to someone at airbnb?

6 Replies 6
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Unless there were extenuating circumstances, there is nothing for AirBnB to do. On what basis are they seeking a refund?

Extenuating Circumstances are solely within the discretion of AirBnB.

David
Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

the fact that your "guest" has taken legal action doesn't mean that you've been wrong. It seems you have done everything by the book, therefore you don't have much to worry about. 

Sora0
Level 7
Singapore

not sure why is your guests seeking small claim refund. even hotels does not do refund if guests cancelled the hotel booking. you can call airbnb is you are concern bout it but i doubt there is anything they can do. prepare yourself to explain in the small claim court will be a better suggestion.

Patricia86
Level 4
Chico, CA

Take everything with you to small claims court.  Take screen shots of your listing, any communication, as well as Airbnb policies.  I don't see Airbnb doing anything to help you, so make sure you can show documentation of everything possible.  

You are covered by the Terms of Service of Airbnb and their Host Guarantee.  Getting a notice to appear in Small Claims Court is certainly upsetting and not something to be taken lightly. However, the guests cannot actually sue you since their contract is with Airbnb - not you directly.    They need to sue Airbnb and are using this tactic to intimidate you into giving them some money back.  Stay strong and do not give in - their cancellation is not your fault and you do not need to be punished for their actions (or lack thereof)!  

Get Airbnb involved immediately.  Use the "search for anything...." box above and find the Community Help Guide to Contacting Airbnb and get them and their legal team involved.  Do not contact the guests again unless Airbnb instructs you to do so.     

The can sue her, they have done so. Most unlikely ABB will get involved, no suggestion that they have taken action against ABB, which may well be more logical.

Just because they do not have a case does not mean that it does not have to be replied to.

David