security deposit

Linda3373
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

security deposit

Hi Folks

I'm very new to this, with my first guests arriving tomorrow. And one thing I've forgotten to ask for is a security deposit (!). I suspect I can't charge this after booking is made, but going forward is there an average you all charge such as 10% for example?  Thanks, and appreciate any advice.

Best regards

Linda 

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Linda3373

You can indeed not add a security deposit to an excisting reservation.

The security deposit is a fixed amount to be set in the listing.

Please note the security deposit is not actually charged on the guest.

Linda3373
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

thanks for your response....all informatin is good, thank you.  I'm just wondering what kind of security deposit to ask for? Is there a standard benchmark?

@Linda3373 How about $300? It doesn't really matter. It means nothing on Airbnb.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Linda3373 

We have our security deposit set at $500.

The only value in it is to make guests think that they can be charged for damages.

Unfortunately the worst guests already know that Airbnb will not make them pay, so they don’t care.

Honest people would voluntarily pay for damages they caused, so I guess I’ll reduce ours to $100, if I get around to it. 

Before I was a host with Airbnb I was going to rent a house until I saw that the security deposit was $2500.

I didn’t know it was fake, and I was nervous about a charge that high on my credit card, and the problems that might arise if the bank made a mistake or the host just decided to rob me.

I booked another house through VRBO.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Linda3373 

You can indeed collect a real security deposit by simply "requesting money" in the resolution center. But if the guest hasn't explicitly agreed to it in advance (no, not just posted somewhere in your house rules), then surprising them with it will end badly. For both of you. 

And remember that any security deposit you collect is for damages, not for being a little messy or disrespectful. Therefore, you need to return it in full at checkout, preferably in cash, if there's no damages

We've found that holding the security deposit is very effective at preventing damage. They want their deposit back, and therefore tend to be extra careful and conscientious during their stay. In fact, they're often more tidy than guests who don't pay a deposit. Carrot. Stick. All in one 😉