service dog

Barb6
Level 10
Stevensville, MI

service dog

This is from a potential guest.

I have a seizure disorder and have a service animal that is trained to get help and assist me in case of a problem. Autumnis a Lagotto Romagnolo dog ~30lbs. She is extremely friendly and she does not shed at all, and does not produce any dander either. And I just gave her a bath so she smells lovely, even though she doesn't really ever smell bad.
I know that technically I didn't have to say anything and you can't refuse based on the service animal but I just wanted to let you know and will let you decide whether you can accommodate. I hope to hear from you soon!

On Profile page of potential guest.
I am a 4th year medical student. My girlfriend is an attorney. We have an amazing little furball named Autumn. She is a tiny 30lb Lagotto Romagnolo and is training to be a truffle hunter!

I have a no pet policy. What are my choices here? 

64 Replies 64
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Barb6  There are several very detailed discussion threads about hosting and service dogs on this site.  Please read them.  Bottom line, you cannot legitimately refuse the dog. Emphasis on the word "legitimately" I think the message from the guest demonstrates an extraordinary sensitivity and while I have a no pet policy as well due to my own dog on the premises, I might be tempted to host these guests.

I have read the threads about the pets. I feel that it is not a legtimate service dog, per their profile.

I found out you can deny......because the fact is that hosts who are in-home hosts and who offer a room in their home (not a whole separate apartment) , and who offer no more than 5 rooms for rent in their home, can in fact legally discriminate based on the presence of a service animal, in the USA at least.

What if the guest stay is having a boyfriend visit, who by the way is not on our reservation, who has a service dog?  And staying for a week.  Do I say no? He is not part of our booking .

If your rules are that each guest must be registered that is the first issue to address.  Once the boyfriend is established as a guest, then address the service dog issue according to the ADA rules in your area.  You can decline to allow the boyfriend as another option

Ephraim0
Level 10
New York, NY

@Barb6

I suppose if you or a family member had asthma, or other sreious breathing disorder, and the listing was in your home, you would have a fair reason to inform the guest that it would be very hazardous to your health and send you to the hospital. If the guest is telling the truth they would understand, if they weren't telling the truth and cared  more about their health issues than your own, that would be highly questionable. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

A seizure from having too many truffles perhaps ?  The cheekiness of some !!

He/they have found the service dog loophole and are trying to set you up.  

I suggest you ask for proof that it is a service dog.

Leagally you can not ask for proof of a service dogs training or need for one.

@Barb6

Alas, the attorney friend has done her homework 🙂

Meaning anyone with a dog can claim it is a service dog ?

thats what I am thinking but I am ticked about that trickory... 😞

No.  It isn't as easy as that.  Medical proof and there are exceptions if you live in the house that the service animal would be living in.

You most certainly may ask for proof from a medical provider that the animal is a service animal.  But in a private home, those rules do not apply.  My two little terriers would wreak such havoc on another animal coming into this house, that the DOG would need a service animal.  tee hee hee  "Contrary to popular belief, some landlords ARE exempt from the regulations of the Fair Housing Amendments Act. The exceptions include (a) buildings with four or fewer units where the landlord lives in one of the units, and (b) private owners who do not own more than three single family houses, do not use real estate brokers or agents, and do not use discriminatory advertisements. The FHAA also does not apply to publicly owned (government owned) housing or to section 8 housing. Other laws, such as Section 508 of the Rehab Act and Title II of the ADA may apply in some cases. Consult a qualified attorney to learn which laws if any apply in your specific situation."  And this:  "In order to avoid abuse of the system, landlords are generally permitted to require a letter from the tenant's doctor explaining the tenant is disabled by mental illness and how the emotional support animal is expected to mitigate this disability."  http://servicedogcentral.org/content/node/305

Julia557
Level 2
North Carolina, United States

Each state has their own laws regarding whether you can ask or not. In North Carolina the law is clearly stated in the general statutes. § 168-4.2. May be accompanied by service animal. (a) Every person with a disability has the right to be accompanied by a service animal trained to assist the person with his or her specific disability in any of the places listed in G.S. 168-3, and has the right to keep the service animal on any premises the person leases, rents, or uses. The person qualifies for these rights upon the showing of a tag, issued by the Department of Health and Human Services, under G.S. 168-4.3, stamped "NORTH CAROLINA SERVICE ANIMAL PERMANENT REGISTRATION" and stamped with a registration number, or upon a showing that the animal is being trained or has been trained as a service animal. The service animal may accompany a person in any of the places listed in G.S. 168-3.

Unfortunately this is completely incorrect!!

"You most certainly may ask for proof from a medical provider that the animal is a service animal."