should i use smart pricing?

Answered!
Jean92
Level 1
Washington, DC

should i use smart pricing?

Should i use smart pricing? Is anyone using it? what do you thingk about it?

1 Best Answer

We use it and love it.  It has increased our booking price on average of 7% and we're booked 92% of the time. While I used to agonize over the price and if I would get a booking, now I let smart pricing do it for me.  I do watch for the weekends I know Smart Pricing might not catch an event or special occassion in town (especially those dates further out than the 4 month max).  Plus, they are willing to lower the weekend price earlier than I would - so December weekend prices are starting to go down already but I'm not ready to list lower just yet - so I override the prices when I think I can still get a premium even if Smart Pricing does not.  I do this for holiday weekends too, when I don't "really" want a guest but I'm not blocking the date either - like Thanksgiving.  I artifically inflate the price in case there is someone willing to pay, but if not, I'm not upset that I didn't book. 

My minimum is set at $43.  Smart Pricing's closest "low" has been and is for $51 on a Wednesday in December.  However, I have seen the opposite - prices rising into the $100s for high-traffic weekends.  To me, that's a recipe for disaster as anyone booking my guest room for over $100 is probably going to have an expectation that is not realistic.  That being said, we are already booked for those high-traffic days almost a year in advance (at $100/night - our max).  Maybe Smart Pricing would have been a Smarter option. 

Of course, we also like Instant Book as well and find the kind of guest who uses this feature is 1 of 2 types - (1) lazy and doesn't read the listing at all and then cancels immediately when you start pointing out that there is only one bed or dogs cost extra or we aren't located inside the Blue Devils stadium [read - annoying whether they use IB or not!] or (2) fantastic, high-quality, experienced guests.  Luckily for us, the VAST majority are in the latter category.  

With both IB and SP on, we find Airbnb to be a pretty agreeable system.  

YMMV

View Best Answer in original post

99 Replies 99

I have found VRBO and it's affiliates dreadful to deal with. The photos and descriptions are identical to AirBnb. Not even 1 view nor enquiry for 5 months. I reached out to them 3 times for guidance was to what's wrong and after 2 days I receive a reply telling me to call their number in the United States - and I am in SE Asia. Horrid customer care from this bunch. 

I am NEW and I found that happening to me! I am confused!!

No, I have tried smart pricing two or three times. The last time was the very last time! I had set a minimum price of 25 and they booked my room out at $20 a night! I will never use it again!

SP seems to go below my minimum. I had my min set for $79 and it was booking at $67, $69, etc. Simply maddening. I turned it off.

Yes, but when I set a minimum, they still booked at a lower price than my minimum!  

Make sure you have set your minimum.  That's up to you.  Make sure your maximum is such that it will not disappoint those willing to pay it.  We began hosting winter 2016 and quickly abandoned Smart Pricing.  Now as the busy summer season ends, I am experimenting with it after seeing a long block of unbooked dates.  I've not seen immediate results yet and I do wonder if the price I see set on my calendar is one that will change upon actually booking.  Will wait a couple of weeks and see!

I agree with your take on the pricing from smart pricing.  I am in Springfield, MO and face the same issue.  I have been hosting a week and two days. So, how have you worked around this pricing issue?

I have tried to sign on with Beyond Pricing, Everbooked, or Wheelhouse, but none of them offer their service in my area yet.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick 

Grace House

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/20030535?s=51

Rick Simpson

This is exactly my feeling too. I'm very new to airbnb, but I've hosted family and friends for years at no charge at all. So I am not inclined to host full ammenties to strangers at couch surfing prices.  In the two months since I set up my account, I've gotten over 130 viewings and two bookings. One canceled due to an oversite in trying to book an already blocked out weekend and the other is coming up next month. I'm super excited at the response and am willing to wait it out for the right customer. Yet I'm getting messages from airbnb suggesting I lower my price since I've had viewings that opted for lower priced bookings in my area. I'm about one of precious few airbnb's in my area and the only one in my town that has only one hotel. So I don't know what they're talking about as being my competition. 

Dixie7
Level 10
Dunsborough, Australia

Good on you Marsha. Set your own prices for different times of the year. Good luck.

I find it incredible that you are seeing an increase in revenue. Is it possible that you have been “leaving money on the table all along”? I find AirBnb smart prices to be ludicrous! I have already lost hundreds of dollars this season (my properties are in a ski town) over past (4) years during prime periods by allowing AirBnb to set the prices. I now set minimums on all dates I know I will be able to rent and ONLY allow AirBnb to set prices to dates that I wouldn’t typically rent (e.g. midweek / off season).

Coming from a customer's perspective -- I inquired on a unit on AIRBNB. After a few days I made my decision and was ready to book long term after walking through the unit. PRICE INCREASED 20%, over a few days. This was made over $1,000 difference in price over the total stay.
If I'm going to face this kind of price volatility risk with Airbnb (20% price fluctuation in 3 days), I might as well contract with the host directly.

Dawn33
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

Initially, I avoided it, but now you can set your minimum price. There is nothing to lose, in my opinion.
Airbnb's suggested maximum price is what I mark my max price,

I don't think you have anything to lose. If your area has big events/festivals or higher demand dates, you can override smart pricing with your own higher prices.

Hope this helps.
Dina46
Level 2
Waimate, New Zealand

I have set a maximum price but the booking system seems to be overriding it, I dont want to charge $700 for my house for 1 night, I think that is insane, any ideas on what I can do about this, I am thinking of leaving ABB even though I am new

I don't like Smart Pricing OR Instant Book.  I have had AirBnb try to book me for as low as $17/night when My lowest price is set at $40.  Instant Book gets me people who would not take care of my home.  I absolutely refuse to relinquish control of my home to someone whom I cannot vet, and for a price that leaves me working for FREE.  I support you in your decision to turn off Smart Pricing (which isn't so smart!) AND Instant Book!

Set your upper limits to a more reasonable figure.