smoking marijuana inside the house

Aimee10
Level 3
Vancouver, Canada

smoking marijuana inside the house

Guest is smoking pot inside my rental. I smelled it yesterday & today. I just texted him to STOP and go for a walk and do it but that I will charge him $250 for cleaning now because I'll have to wash all the linen/pillows on the sofa etc... So mad and who at air bnb do i cantact? They never have a direct contact line?

45 Replies 45
Ravinder0
Level 1
Philadelphia, PA

I am sorry hear that Aimee thats wrong not good for other guests we hace sign in the building no smoking but .

you people Air BNB there phone  number is  (415)800-5959 

Good luck

Ravi

Jarod0
Level 3
Oakdale, CA

415-800-5959 or 855-424-7262. I hear 415 number is best.

Burn a little incense it will be gone. Natural citrus oil sprays work well on sofa's etc. and disinfect too. Not like cigarette smoke thankfully.

Thanks for the phone numbers. Has anyone charged from the damage deposit before for a "deep clean" for smoking in a non-smoking rental? I have "no smoking on the premises" in my house rules. There is a balcony that would have been a better choice. I'm going to have to wash the covers on the sectional sofa which takes lots of time to take apart, wash, hang dry then put back on. Anyone else had this problem? I heard hotels charge for smoking in non-smoking rooms. Pot is pretty strong. I almost put in a "fragrance free" clause (for perfume) because that stuff is also bad for the next guest to smell. I've had to air the place out after guests have loaded up on perfume. He did blow it out the bathroom vent so hopefully it's not too bad. I'm being pretty calm about it as they leave tomorrow but I need to get info on the damage deposit? Anyone?

I love how a guest can break your house rules and then leave a 3 star rating on a normally 5 star response rate. Not happy at all!!! They should not be able to leave a review if they have broken the house rules!!!

Hi Aimee, I empathize with you about guests smoking pot.  I am in Colorado where it's legal, and people think they are entitled even though I have it clear on my listing that I do not allow smoking.  I've softenened a bit on that and now say, "Please smoke outside" because so many guests were ignoring my rules.  However, I would prefer no smoking altogether.  I wish there were a way to charge an extra fee if they do smoke in there, but it is not apparent how to do that.  If it comes out of the security deposit, there has to be documentation, and how do you document a smell?

Anyone out there who can shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance

The problem is if you say smoke outside they will either sit out on the deck or go out in front of the house and the neigbours would not appreciate that. Then these guests who break the rule get to write a review on you which will be negative because they were called out on not smoking pot or cigarettes. I find that the smokers don't want to go out for a walk and smoke they want to sit around inside and do it and ther is nothing you can do until you smell it or they leave and you can smell it. This is now the second time I know BC bud is great but please don't smoke it insde my amazing space!!! Also respecting the upscale neighbourhood and not standing out front smoking!!!

I'm new to this, just had our first violation of our non-smoking policy. It surprised me. I've had a couple disrespectful guests but most of them are great about following house rules. I'm thinking there's blessed little I can do about the current violation except the disappointing extra cleaning and airing out of the apartment before our next guest arrives just a few hours after the violator's checkout, but a couple things I think I will do to prevent, or at least deter, it in the future: 1) require a deposit that is non-refundable if house rules are broken, 2) send a request for money to the violator to cover damages (inconvenience to next guests bc of smell, extra cleaning and work required, etc) AFTER the 10 day review time has passed so that their review will in no way simply be a retaliation against us for calling them out on breaking house rules.

I agree 100%. Airbnb should clearly separate the smoking properties and groups from nonsmoking ones. 

Putting cushions outside in the fresh air and sunshine to air out for a couple hours will do the trick. Thinking you have to wash all the cushions, curtains, etc. because someone smoked a joint or three in the unit is overreaction.

Are you a simpleton?!?  You think mom and dad and their kids are going to be happy when they check in the same day some ass hat checked after smoking just a little pot ?

Jen49
Level 3
Frederick, MD

I had the same problem.  Airbnb says I need to send photos of physical damage, which of course I cannot.  I only want my $90 deposit back, doesn't seem like I can get it, which means it isn't really a security deposit to begin with.  The next guest noticed the smell despite my efforts to air out and clean, and I fear my cleanliness ratings will be affected.  Airbnb is being short sighted in offering so little support to hosts.  I'll be looking for other sites that will actually help me in the rare occasion that I need it. 

Hi Jennifer;

I just had this happen again and they lied. They left the smell and also evidence (actual pot and a pot grinder with ashes all over hte floor)  but I still think air bnb will not do anything about it which as a host makes me feel very vulnerable. I don't care if people smoke pot outside away from the property that is their choice but NO ONE wants pots smell in their airbnb rental, hotels charge if you do or in their own home. Most people who smoke pot do it outside cause it stinks up your space this is just plain RUDE and disrespectful of the nice space I set up. She was all nice to my face but now is lying and saying my space has problems and she will be putting in a review which she has done already. If airbnb allows her to threaten me with this bad review when all my others in the past 6 months have been 5 stars then I may llok at other options as well. Did you have any luck?

Happened to us, too. No matter how clearly we clarify the rules in contracts, emails, wall placates, these smoking groups are destroying our properties and lying upfront and after the stay, no matter how many pictures we have and evidence of smell and ashes all over. they are leaving bad reviews and ruining normal guest's stays. Airbnb should start doing something about it: start separating the smoking properties and users from those who want to keep their properties clean and at higher standards. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Aimee10

it will be very hard for you to collect any cleaning money for smoking bc you have no evidence of the smell.

You just have to open windows while you clean and it will vent .