technical problem when searching for property, i have had hardly any bookings

Michelle2213
Level 1
Uplyme, GB

technical problem when searching for property, i have had hardly any bookings

Hi Guys

I am a super host and have been with Airbnb for nearly 5 years.  I have spent the whole day trying to sort a major problem with Airbnb.

I have 2 properties listed and they are in the same building and very similar. They have always been very popular and booked out very well.  One of them has lots of bookings this year but for some reason the other one has just 2 odd nights booked. I did some investigating today,  normally i do everything on my iPhone but today i called up Airbnb on my laptop but did not log in. I searched Lyme Regis for properties available for tonight and it came up with 42 properties.

NOW HERE IS THE PROBLEM

When you put in any search that brings up more than one page it does not allow you to look at anything past the first page. I have got 12 different people to check this on their iPads and lap tops and they all experienced the same problem.

This does not happen on an iPhone because that gives you a continuous scroll so you get to see everything.

Airbnb said it was my search engine so i installed google chrome and it made no difference.

They gave me lots of other reasons but i tried everything they suggested and it didn't work.

When i looked at my progress report to see how many views i had for each property they were dramatically different.  This proved that if you come up on the first page then people see your property but if you  are on the 2nd or any pages beyond that then people can't see your property and ultimately you don't get any bookings unless they have booked on a phone.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Please give it a try and you will see what i mean.

i am massively down on bookings now which will cost me greatly.

Many Thanks

Michelle

11 Replies 11
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Michelle2213  You are right. I find the same thing happening no matter where I search. Cannot click on anything past page 1. My views have been dropping sharply since about last week of Jan, and I've been wondering why. @Lizzie @Stephanie  can you look into this, since CX apparently doesn't see what's going on?

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

This is by design. As you discovered, you must login to see all the listings. It has been this way for at least 3 years.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Juan63 I beg to differ. I've done searches not logged in and been able to get past page 1

Maybe you don't know you're logged in or things have changed. I specifically asked Airbnb about this when it happened to me 3 years ago. They said it was by design.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

Within the last 6 months I've done an incognito search just for the heck of it and not had a problem. If I do a private browse on my iPhone right now, it's as @Michelle2213 says, continuous scroll and can see all offerings. So if it's as CX told you, that doesn't add up. And that's not what they're telling Michelle now. They don't ever know what's going on as they're not trained to know...always left guessing and making stuff up. It's impossible to ever put any stock in what they tell you.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Michelle2213 and @Colleen253,

Hmm...interesting. To be honest with you, I'm not sure on this one. I've just carried out a quick search on my desktop and tried whilst logged out, as you suggest. In Safari and Chrome I selected London, specific dates and I was able to click on further than page 1 in the search. 

It wouldn't be too unexpected if it was by design though, as it could encourage more people to login and become guests, which is what I think most hosts would like. 

Either way, I don't think this would impact one of your listings over the other. Could there be another reason for this perhaps? 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie Thank you very much for joining the discussion to look into this further 🙂 I have done an incognito search with dates as well, and can't get past page 1. I also just did a search while logged in and same thing. If it is indeed by design, as @Juan63  was told, why can you see all listings available when doing an incognito search on the app? Also, based on @Michelle2213 's description of her almost identical listing's booking history and trends, it does seem suspiciously linked to the issue at hand, since the one that continues as normal is seen on page 1, and the other that has had a sharp drop in bookings, can't be viewed.

A greater issue here is the fact that we need to enlist the help of those other than CX. They, while lovely people, just simply aren't trained or informed. I don't say that in a mean way, it's just true...born out by the experiences of all who have ever called in with an issue. How many times have we read on this forum the advice "just keep calling back until you get someone competent"? And on each of those many calls, the person calling will get a different story or explanation. Anyone on these forums know more than any of them. It's a problem when you can't break through that wall to reach someone who actually knows what's going on, and when you can't trust what you're being told.

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

I also cannot click past page 1 on map view whether logged in or out. It's definitely a bug and is affecting bookings.

I am on google chrome and windows 10 so nothing unusual.

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

I logged our of everything and logged in again and it is now working.

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Michelle2213  @Lizzie

Using Firefox, whether logged in or not, whether in map view or not, all seems to be working correctly.

Using Chrome, whether logged in or not, whether in map view or not, I can't get past page 1.