too many guests arrive

too many guests arrive

What is the proceedure for when too many people show up for a specified number of guests maximum. People seem to want to sneak another person in but do not say at the beginning of the resevation but rather when it is too late to cancel. And they need to do the cancel so not to tarnish reputation of the host.

8 Replies 8
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Bonnie-Drouillard-and0  In my case if more show than booked and I can house them I will call AirBnB and have the reservation adjusted. I charge extra guest fees for guests over 6 to keep my rate reasonable for a party of 6 to rent, yet cover my additional costs when there are more guests. If the group refuses to pay I tell them to have AirBnB cancel their reservation for them. I will not allow them to stay. Period. It's in my rental agreement and House rules about the guest counts and registered guests. If they are over my maxiumum, I tell them only the guests that are registered may stay and the others need to find additional housing and will not be allowed on the property. There is a reason my guest maximum is what it is, they do not get to change it. 

Lance75
Level 1
Long Beach, CA

I had 6 instead of 2 guest. It’s $50 per person extra. So 4 extra. = 200 plus I have a penalty of double cleaning fee for if anyone try’s to sneak guest. I host My boat so it’s a lot of  extra abuse. Lots of linens that have to be cleaned off the boat plus washing stains on the decks from smoking burns. So the second night was not permitted. As I walked up, the extra guest where having sex on the upstairs outside day bed at 10am. Mind you my boat is the first boat you see from the parking area when driving up. Was 275 for two nights i was ok with refund the extra night after applying the fees. So should be 275+200 extra guest+139 extra cleaning - half the extra night because cancel set to strict. 73 refund = 541 

my deposit is set at $500

They said we can only credit you 50% of the extra cleaning fee sense the tenant did not respond. I was Ok with that. So 541-69.5 =471.50 

Then the next day the say the can only credit 50% of the full amount credited. 

So 275+200 extra guest + 50% of 139 of extra cleaning fee 69.50 then - 73 for the refund on extra night not stayed. So sense it’s only going off what is credited 200+69.5 that was 50% twice -73 refund= so there trying to pay me only 50% of this 196.50 = 98.25 Total. Let me know if anyone else thinks this is fair after someone lied and through a party on my boat broken bottles and smoked inside and burnt my decks. Keep in mind they have a 500 dollar deposit and they double took away 50% 

Carl160
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

When people break a house rule we have found it best to ask them to leave.  If they do not we have had police remove them.  You may take some loss from AirBnB, but if it's due to breaking known house rules you may get 50%.   We also keep a strict refund policy for this exact reason hoping to discourage people trying to sneak by rules.

Wish there was a better way,  but Air BnB does not seem to respond favorably to hosts from what' we've experienced.

I suspect that once you're brought in the police,   ABB is less likely to balk?   

Samia49
Level 1
Orem, UT

We have a reservation ongoing for 2 people but there are actually 4 of them.  Beyond two, the revervation goes up $25/night/guest.  I called Airbnb but they dont get involved directly.  They told me to deal with the guest first by asking for more money.  There is a feature at the resevation level for a particular guest where you can "send" or "ask for" money.  Airbnb explained that if the guest accepts the additional charge, then the payment proceeds. If the guest refuses, then they get involved.  We will see what happens.

I also put a private note under that guest to not accept any reservation from him in the future.  Lying on your reservation to save a few bucks is never a good way to build trust.

@Bonnie-Drouillard-and0:
Be sure to leave an accurate review for future hosts.

Last night a guest booked the room in my home for 3 people, which is my maximum for that space.  As I was looking at her reservation, however, I noticed that she listed 2 adults, 1 child and 2 infants or 5 people. This would completely violate our county laws as well as creating an unsafe, overcrowded situation.  I immediately messaged the guest to let her know that I could not accommodate 5 people in the room.  I'm a new host and am not sure what my options are in this situation.  I'm hoping it was an error but want to know how this should best be handled in the meantime.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Leslie672   AirBnB does not consider children to be human beings staying at the accommodation, so they "don't count" against the maximum allowed number of guests.  I have had to enter text on my listing saying that I am licensed for X persons, children and infants included.  AirBnB needs to change their policy as it can violate local laws.  Unfortunately, other OTAs are also no longer counting children as guests, following AirBnB's example.