understanding availability settings > preparation time

Answered!
Valerie27
Level 5
Victoria, Canada

understanding availability settings > preparation time

Here is the scenario:

We (host) have somebody booked for july 13 to july 16 - check-in july 13, check-out july 16. We have preparation time set to "1-day before and after". "before" works as expected, july 12 is not available for booking, BUT "after" allows booking on july 17, one day after check-out.

Shouldn't the day after (july 17) be blocked? missing something? is it a bug?

Thank you.

1 Best Answer
Ceri0
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

This is not a bug. I think it is an unfortunate use of the word 'day' as really in AirBnB you book 'nights' - not days. July 16th should not be available for booking - that is your 'one day (night) after'.

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Ceri0
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

This is not a bug. I think it is an unfortunate use of the word 'day' as really in AirBnB you book 'nights' - not days. July 16th should not be available for booking - that is your 'one day (night) after'.

I guess I have to find somebody doing the cleaning at night then 😉 Thank you for the clarification. Cheers to Summerland.

Ceri, thanks for responding. I was new to airbnb at the time and was still learning... including how to look up my community help questions. Thanks for this clarification.

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Valerie27 No, it should block the entire day / night.  I have 1 day before and 1 day after each reservation blocked automatically and it shows the entire date blocked.  What kind of device are you using? I'm on my laptop with Google Chrome and it works fine.  You might double check your availability setting although I didn't see an option to block 1/2 day.  Weird. 

Vicki20
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Well, my take on it is that the 12th is blocked for your booking 13-16.  That means if someone wants to book after the 16th, like the 17th-20th, the night of the 16th would be blocked to allow for cleaning after check out at noon on the 16th. That gives housekeeping until 4pm on the 17th  (if your check in time listed is 4pm).    

@Vicki20 That's not how it works for me.  If check out is on the 16th, the 17th is unavailble for booking unless I unblock that date. 

Kerry78
Level 2
Reydon, United Kingdom

Hello, apologies for asking a very silly question. If using availability settings, for example for 1 night, should both dates be the same? For example, one night on the 3rd, would the end date also be on the 3rd or should it be the 4th? I presumed it would be the 3rd but someone said they could not book?

Thank you for listening..

We have one day preparation selected and our calendar always has blocked one night before and one night after the booking. However, the platform recently allowed someone to come in on the same day someone is leaving which makes it very difficult for us to get the guest house sparkling clean for the new guests. We sent a message to Airbnb via "feedback." This does seem like a bug to us. 

This was the conundrum we had too. As a result we now block 2 days before and after. The problem is that it seems too long sometimes. It would be wonderful if we could set each before and after separately. That would give us more freedom I believe. What I do now is manually change the before/after dates based on our bookings but this is more complicated than it really needs to be. We are like you and like to keep our place very clean and that demands a bit more time than half a day if you are a working person or simply busy. Good luck Lisa and Robert.

by requiring  a 2 night minimum it prevents a single day between reservations from being booked.  Now if only I could get to the setting that would open the calendar up more than a year out. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@L94 

It is the "availability window" in the section "calender availability", which is probably set to 1 year now.