verified guest booking for others

Answered!
Julie685
Level 2
Crowland, United Kingdom

verified guest booking for others

Guest asked to stay for 2 nights, checked his verification and agreed the booking.  Then received a message to say 4 people would be coming.  We say we accommodate 4 so agreed although feeling a bit miffed this number was not on the original contact request. We assumed the verified person would be one of the party. However, it turns out this is not the case, he has booked in 4 workers. We've had no information about these people who are staying. (they are here now)  He also had not passed to them the detailed access information I sent.  This is the second group (both for this week) who have booked in their workers and they themselves are not the ones coming to stay.  I can see nothing in the help section about how to cancel these reservations without any penalty.

1 Best Answer
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Julie685

First of all one the airbnb conditions is that - 'We require Airbnb reservations booked for personal travel to be booked by the person who's going to stay at the listing.'' - Only exception to this is that if you are in the defined business travel scheme otherwise booking for another user is not permitted on the platform so this reservation is outside the terms of service and can be cancelled.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member

It's not that easy to deal with arrivees on your doorstep of course but you can contact airbnb to get an agent to cancel without penalties.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact_us

Maybe you are unlucky having a second group like this in a week, I suppose the only way to prevent is to ask lots of tedious questions pre-arrival. You could consider charging a bit extra for the number of guests after two people to reflect extra costs and wear and tear too.

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Julie685

First of all one the airbnb conditions is that - 'We require Airbnb reservations booked for personal travel to be booked by the person who's going to stay at the listing.'' - Only exception to this is that if you are in the defined business travel scheme otherwise booking for another user is not permitted on the platform so this reservation is outside the terms of service and can be cancelled.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member

It's not that easy to deal with arrivees on your doorstep of course but you can contact airbnb to get an agent to cancel without penalties.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact_us

Maybe you are unlucky having a second group like this in a week, I suppose the only way to prevent is to ask lots of tedious questions pre-arrival. You could consider charging a bit extra for the number of guests after two people to reflect extra costs and wear and tear too.

Julie685
Level 2
Crowland, United Kingdom

Thank you I did think it was outside the terms of AirBnB but it seems these are slipping through the net. I have looked at the help centre and followed your link but it takes you to the same place.  I don't seem to be able to find anywhere to contact them direct to get them to cancel the booking. The booking I want to cancel is from the same person, he booked a second trip straight after the first for this week was booked.  My diffculty is I don't want to cancel the second booking until the group leave in the morning just in case there are any repercussions.

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Contact Airbnb safety first you should of send them alway 

Julie685
Level 2
Crowland, United Kingdom

I was not there when they arrived as I was out of town.  My partner just happened to be at home which is unusual and not knowing about how they had booked etc as he is not involved in the business he showed them how to get in.  I had already sent the guest the details for how to access via our keybox but he had not passed that onto his workers.  By the time I found out the person who booked was not there all 4 were settled in.  They have been fine, no problem and they leave in the morning tomorrow  so i don't want to cause any upset in case there are repercussions.

Julie685
Level 2
Crowland, United Kingdom

Have cancelled the Nov 20th booking this morning so will see if I do get penalised.  Have essaged the guest to tell him that he is breaking the terms of AirBnB and also told him that he should get his workers verified then there would be no issue as they can book n their names.

Victoria700
Level 2
Charleston, SC

I had this happen to me this week. A verified guest books just minutes before check-in for a family seeking asylum. I literally heard foot steps and key jingling before getting the notification. New to the US and customs, they made a complete mess of my trash (dirty diapers, food, leaking liquids in the recycling bin), didn’t use bedding sheets provided, had there toddler (I ask for no kids under 5) running around until midnight and up yelling at 7am, used the garden and took my sons toys (I specifically say guests do not have access to backyard)  and left cigarette butts all over my “non-smoking” property.  Typically guests would read the rules, but they likely didn’t have access as they didn’t book it. 

I feel bad for leaving a bad review for the verified guest, but if they’re willing to take responsibility for their work or volunteering, should I really feel bad? I have auto booking but  there should definitely be s policy for a second screening if you’re booking for someone else. 

Colin191
Level 1
East London, South Africa

It is not right we cannot verify people wanting to stay.  Why should I trust the company when I have had strange requests and I cannot look at recommendations?

Do I have the procedure wrong here?

The software is ridiculous, has been and still is.

More interested in getting you to travel than host.

I live in South Africa, Africa and people take more chances here, get real. This is not Ireland. 

Regards 

Colin *

*[Surname hidden for safety reasons–in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Peggy153
Level 2
Chaplin, CT

We have a worker situation going on right now.  I greet the guest saying Hi Jesse and he says I'm Justin.  So there are two people staying in the cottage and all I  know is that they are Justin and his female co-worker.  That is all I know.  They explain that the booking is on Jesse's credit card.  I assume Jesse is the boss.  Should I point to the door and say "Leave!"?  Should I have a form for them to fill out, see their ID, verify their license plate number, contact info for next of kin?  That is what hotels do.  A friend had a similar situation- she dealt with a 40 ish female person making the reservation.  Just before arrival time she is notified that a high school aged boy is about to arrive and he will be using Uber to look at colleges in the area.  The reservation was for a week.  Airbnb must get control over this situation.  It creates a real security risk for hosts.  At least our guests are in a separate structure, but consider those who invite guests into their own living space!

I am in the similar situation. I prefer to have guests verified just in case so ID verification is mandatory to book my place. I received a booking and the guest sent me a message saying that "I look forward to staying in your home!".And then I got a message from her through Airbnb inbox saying that her husband would stay but not her just a few hours before check-in. I am newbie host and didn't know what to do. 

In this case, is it also possible to cancel the booking without panalty? Do I have to contact Airbnb team and report the issue? From what I know, if host cancels booking a day before check-in, automatic comment/review will be appeared on our review page saying that Host canceled this booking something like that.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

We have had two similar reservations .one where the profilee said they were coming to work in the area for six days.then after phone calls to the number at our check in via text time.one of our rules.we were told that four workers would arrive but what their work was is hush hush. four bedraggle sullen young people arrived and we took an id and told them verbally our rules and arranged a mid week clean as much to check as to clean.they said they were here to spread love to the community.but would not give details .cult ?We are none the wiser but do not reccomend hosting these groups unless you personally can verify them and get some id.No lock boxes.It is very tricky.Saying we wont do it again .We just have.People without profiles take advantage of the automatic system.these people have personally a very good profile and want overnight accomodation for their guests as their house is too small.If they are paying for their guests I have told them to make their guests aware of our rules and that they personally remain responsible for their guests and any extra charges relating to damage and that "no parties 'is one of our rules.I now understand from the comments that we could cancel these guests without penalty and will in future.Thing is we need the eggs.It is risky Helen