what are my rights and airbnb responsibility

Francesca44
Level 2
New York, NY

what are my rights and airbnb responsibility

I had guests in my apt during the holidays, I opened a case right after the instant booking.

This person was no responding my messages, I was traveling, and I needed to be in touch with the person renting my apt.

I finally had the chance to find a person answering the phone that automatically hanged up the phone on my face.

Airbnb wasn`t lucky as well; they were not able to communicate with the coming guest.

At check-in time, this person decided to appear, and I realized he had read the messages but didn't care to respond to me. So he contacted the person holding the apt keys, I told him and Airbnb, and I didn't feel safe to have this person home. The case representative threatens me to host this person or to cancel the reservation, losing the money and also have my red line on my score. I was so upset but in the middle of my Christmas dinner that I let this person in the house.

Long story short, in my house policy they are not allowed to have guests without my permission, and each extra guest's costs are. 

The day of my return, my phone that was inactive during my trip got filled with messages from my neighbors complaining about these guests and the noise, guests parties. 

The effective damages at my property are irrisory but the house was at risk, and my neighbor is now creating me issues in hosting again.

Whats Airbnb responsibility? I asked the refund based on a # guests in my apt, but I cant provide a receipt.

2 Replies 2
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Francesca44 hm.. as far as I know , if you have instant booking enabled you are allowed to cancel 3x a year  (?) without any penalty if you feel unconfortable with a guest, he is not responding on your messages or it is evident that he will break your house rules. In your case it was all of that.

So the representative you communicated with was wrong.

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I am still dealing with policies and managers, I asked reimbursement for the renter for not respecting rules, and of course, he is not willing to pay it. And Airbnb is ignoring the responsibility and the complaint in regard their employee.

I am still going to fight, hoping to get some rights.

Please let me know if you have any suggestion, I am kinda upset with Airbnb now, I spent hours in front of City Hall for them, and now they are showing any interest in caring about hosts.