what does a 4 star rating mean?

Ali24
Level 2
Romsey, GB

what does a 4 star rating mean?

I have hosted about 6 guests so far this month in one of my rooms, and I have a very clear descripion on my page of exactly what to expect.  All the comments they have left in my guest book (4 people as the one has just left and the other is still here) have been wonderful, and they have thanked me and been positive in person.  Part of the description explains very clearly, and in the main header, that the room is a shared space.  One of my guests put a comment on things I could improve, to say that he should have been warned that it was a shared space - not only does it say that clearly on the picture, description and when they arrive, I show them the access door, making the room non private....i have also clearly stated that my house is very old and quirky, but it is spotlessly clean despite that, although a bit shabby 'chic' may be a good description, but very clean. I have received 4 stars regarding cleanliness and 4 stars for accuracy..from one of my guests. and of course I am a little bit upset, as I have been getting 5 stars on everything up until this point...just wondered what 4 stars meant?? Thanks 🙂 

18 Replies 18

This is such a bummer as I've only Airbnb'd 4 times now with my family. The first 3 were definite 5 stars. Our last was a 4 overall. I gave 5 in 2 categories and 4 in 2 categories. I think of Airbnb ratings like I'd post a Yelp rating (like many I'm sure)  that if they listed snorkel gear to use but then didn't have any it was a ding. I had to shell out over $60 and the other stuff they had was torn and not great but didn't mention that. Our host was on the mainland (as told by her mother) when we were there and my kids felt like they were in trouble from the one encounter we had third day in probably because we had the ceiling fans running on high once we returned home and kids were playing in the pool. We didn't realize the house rules until just before going that we could only run AC while physically there so the back bedroom without air was pretty unbearable causing us to sleep on the hard cement floor on the other side (again left out of our review). I wrote my review really favorable as I had a ton of questions before going and really the place was very clean and our host was responsive. It just didn't deserve 5 stars as I give that to above and beyond which my last 3  stays seemed to have. It seems Airbnb needs to be addressed and I think hosts need to let folks know. I would have thought 4 stars was still good. Also why is it 3 stars if I say "as expected"? If it's a superhost and we arrive and it's expected then that is another bad on AirBnb. I didn't contact our host knowing she was on the mainland and wasn't going to go out and buy snorkel gear but knowing it could affect a rating maybe she would have?  I have no idea. That too with the non-stop dog barking I only mentioned as "occasional" and would affect light sleepers. We didn't want to bother the Mom upstairs that already scolded us for water running that was not happening. It would involve walking outdoors at 4 am in our pjs or calling the host on the mainland..  It just made my kids uncomfortable. We still really liked the host from communications but that didn't change how we felt during our stay. We'd hate to see her lose guests as they are fixable things we hoped our review would accomplish. So shame on AirBnb then for not educating guests what helps keep a superhost "Super"!

Could you tell us how to tell what ratings a potential guest has given in the past?

Linda356
Level 2
Burradoo, Australia

I was given 4 stars for cleanliness in bathroom and kitchen.  So I contacted the guest and asked what had been the problem as I wanted to amend it.  He said oh did it come across like that as I meant the opposite.  I have proof of our conversation but airbnb would not change the rating even although the guest admits it was a mistake. My next guests review says it was extraordinary clean which it is.  So what do others think of this.

Seems reviews are sometimes not about the work. They can be subjective instead of objective. It all comes out in the wash though. My experience is that most guests are fair. That said, I got a bad review for check in because the guest gave the uber the wrong address, another gave me a bad review because my rental was too far from a place they wanted to visit. We all want 5s, but some people will walk into the Sistine Chapel and complain that there's an echo. It can be hard on hosts who really want to provide a great service. But careful guests usually can look past a few outliers. 4 stars means whatever the guest want it to mean. I must have faith that our good work will speak for itself. Cheers