when 6 people show up instead of the 4 max...

Answered!
Katherine145
Level 2
Jackson, WY

when 6 people show up instead of the 4 max...

I have had a hard time with groups showing up with 6 people instead of the 4 max. This has happened 3x in the 3 months we've been hosting. The first time, it was a family w/ 4 kids & they said the kids were suppossed to be at camp, and didn't know how to communicate the change. I know that was bs, esp. as they showed up with their own air mattress. Bc we are so remote, I honestly think they didn't realize how close the house is to the guest house, although I posted pics our their distance. We have a water issue as we are on a well system & that is the main of several reasons we limit the number to 4 people. Anyway, we made a deal they would leave the place spotless, they didn't, so I left negative feedback. I could have requested an additional $500 as I state additional people will be charged $85 a night, but did not. The next time it was 3 couples, and the guy said "I hope its not a problem if my cousin stops by w/ boyfriend." We said only if they know they can't stay, but they started drinking & stayed. Next AM my husband said 3rd couple had to leave & they did. They gave us $150 in cash, but had a late check out & left tons of pizza boxes/wine bottles stacked up on the kitchen flr, but I did not leave any feedback bc they had realized they would owe more. Now we just had a couple, son, brother & grandparents show up. We felt bad as it was late, but now theplace reeks of grease, and after 3 days the odor is still there. I requested an additional $85, which is only half of the additinal $85 a person, but he won't answer. What am I doing wrong? I say in at least 3 diff places 4 + people not allowed. Thanks for any input...

1 Best Answer
Keith-At-John-Lennon-S-M0
Level 2
Barry, United Kingdom

Well, the same happend or used to happen to me.

I made sure the Fine Print was in place on line, they never read it, by the way, but when they say it is not there you can tell them it is.

I then wrote a Template Email to send, which stated that you Mr/Mrs X have booked a room for 3A/1child under 7yrs, sleeping on 1 double bed, 1 single bed and a roll out bed. Please note that our Insurance Company do not allow for extra guests, dogs, bikes or persons smoking within our Building, additional guests will not be allowed. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

The problem went away.

Keith Spence Owner

ApartmentsWales.com

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Keith-At-John-Lennon-S-M0
Level 2
Barry, United Kingdom

Well, the same happend or used to happen to me.

I made sure the Fine Print was in place on line, they never read it, by the way, but when they say it is not there you can tell them it is.

I then wrote a Template Email to send, which stated that you Mr/Mrs X have booked a room for 3A/1child under 7yrs, sleeping on 1 double bed, 1 single bed and a roll out bed. Please note that our Insurance Company do not allow for extra guests, dogs, bikes or persons smoking within our Building, additional guests will not be allowed. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

The problem went away.

Keith Spence Owner

ApartmentsWales.com

Thank you Keith! Great idea, I appreciate it!

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Katherine145

Since this is a recurring issue, I would add to the house rules that only the number of persons in the booking may stay and that violation will lead to immediate cancellation and denied entry.  

Then be very firm and stick to your rules.

Your're right, yet it doesn't feel good that is for sure. esp. when there are grandparents, but I bet they bank on that. Thanks so much, just trying to confirm I'm not being a jerk. 😉

An16
Level 2
San Diego, CA

@Katherine174, you are not being a jerk. You have rules for a reason and people should follow them.

We are new to vacation rental. Our first experience was terrible over this past Christmas weekend. A lady booked for 8 (our max was 7, but we allowed it since it was an additional child). Instead of 8, it turned out to be almost 20 within 2 days in a 3 bedroom. On Christmas Eve we had to drive 2 hours up to our cabin to evict them. We didn't want our place to be trashed. How can hosts protect themselves from this despite it being in the house rules?

Holy smokes that is outrageous! I can't answer your question...I am hoping someone can still answer it for me! 😉

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

@Katherine145 You can solve this problem by stating, both on your listing and the booking equiry, that all entrances are monitored. You can add that if any addtional guests arrive that are not included in the booking, Airbnb will be notified and the additional guests will not be accommodated. That should solve the problem, because bringing extra people is never a "mistake". It is ALWAYS intentional!

Yes I believe it is as well. Thank you for your response!