which kind of small quantity coffee maker?

Julie1525
Level 4
Mabton, WA

which kind of small quantity coffee maker?

I don't drink coffee, but went out and bought a drip coffee maker. My very first guest said that it's too big and that I should consider one that makes 4-6 cups. OK, fine. Now here's my dilemma. The small drip coffee makers don't get very good reviews unless I get an expensive one or a single serve one. Do I:

buy a single serve maker? (better reviews)

a French press (also better reviews)?

or an electric percolator?

Even though I don't drink it (and honestly can't stand the smell of it), I want my guests to have a decent coffee experience.

24 Replies 24
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

French press, @Julie1525. It is easier to clean, better for the environment, less to go wrong. It is what I have used here for guests since 2012.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Julie1525 Do you have a link to the machine that you did buy? [Your guest might be a nut!]

It's a Bialetti drip coffee maker. The carafe shows markings to 14 C. Fluid cup measures equal 9 cups. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I am with @Lawrene0 .  I personally drink French press and have both single serve and 6-cup sizes.  I find coffee loving guests will especially mention my coffee, but you do have to make sure they know how to use the French press.

@Linda108 , that could be a challenge since I don't drink coffee! Do you have to have specific coffee for French press?

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Julie1525   We provide both, a regular BRAUN drip coffee maker(we do not supply the coffee), and a Senseo-type single serve machine which uses simple, single-serve coffee pads that compost.  I found those to be much cheaper--not to mention better for the environment than those pesky and expensive K-cups.  🙂

Julie1525
Level 4
Mabton, WA

@Ann489 , do you pout it in your listing that you don't provide coffee? May i ask why?

@Julie1525  I state in the house rules that we do not provide coffee for the drip.   In my expercience, guests are pickier about the type of coffee when they make an entire pot.  Most bring their own coffee.  We tried it for a while and the coffee just ended up getting stale.   We do provide the SENSEO coffee pads, however.  Most guests love those! 

@Ann489 , how do you use the Senseo pads?

Gregory87
Level 10
Minneapolis, MN

I'm in the same situation as you, @Julie1525 .  Don't drink coffee, but want to provide the option for guests.  There is also a tea kettle for those who want tea or instant hot chocolate.

I bought a small, 5-cup coffeemaker with options to brew directly into a coffee mug or travel mug.  We supply coffee packets from a local big box store.  This allows us to limit the amount used and keep the product fresh.

Coffee filters are optional with this model, but we provide them for ease of cleaning.  Haven't had any complaints about this coffee solution, but at least 1-2 guests have brought their own grounds.

I also provide the instructions for the device in the house manual since I know nothing about brewing coffee.  I thought about a French press, but that would be another challenge for me.  And those K-cups are expensive and generate a lot of trash.  Plus there are too many options for coffee and other beverages.

Let us know what you decide for a solution.

@Gregory87 , what kind of coffee maker is it? I was looking at those this morning too.

It is a Black & Decker - 5-Cup Coffeemaker - Black (Model:CM0755S, SKU:6258437), @Julie1525 .  I found mine at Best Buy.

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Julie1525 I don't drink coffee and don't provide any type of coffee machine, In 5yrs no one has ever mentioned the lack of one.

Just untick the coffee machine box and let them sort themselves out.