which kind of small quantity coffee maker?

Julie1525
Level 4
Mabton, WA

which kind of small quantity coffee maker?

I don't drink coffee, but went out and bought a drip coffee maker. My very first guest said that it's too big and that I should consider one that makes 4-6 cups. OK, fine. Now here's my dilemma. The small drip coffee makers don't get very good reviews unless I get an expensive one or a single serve one. Do I:

buy a single serve maker? (better reviews)

a French press (also better reviews)?

or an electric percolator?

Even though I don't drink it (and honestly can't stand the smell of it), I want my guests to have a decent coffee experience.

24 Replies 24
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Jeff, as you are in the UK, no coffee isn't as big an issue, it's not like you have ditched the TEA 🙂

I just stayed somewhere that only provided a jar of instant coffee, that was fine. You don't need to do more than that.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Sandra126 ,

Though tea is the preferred choice, we do love a cup of joe rather frequently in Britain! You wouldn't want to see me without my morning coffee fix...

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Julie1525, I have one for 6 cups maximum. The good thing that it can be turned on with timer! So I have my coffe done when I wake up and I can make coffee for guests who are leaving very early:) It is Techwood, I bought it on Amazon.

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

We are lucky to be within three blocks of 5 coffee shops so our guests don’t make coffee at the rate they might at other AirBnbs. We have an older Kuerig that works just fine (though the pods are terribly wasteful) and we recently added a simple Melitta “pour over” and guests ( esp our older guests) really like it. It was about $12 for the glass pot and cone and as long as you have a way to boil water, you are good to go.

@Emily487 

yes, I also bought Melitta, it is fool proof 🙂

@Emily487 I travel with a Melitta pour over. Well, I travel with two.... one for a mug (no 2 filter); one for a pot (no 4 filter.) Thank goodness. I have arrived at numerous places where the machines are either wretched or non-existant. [Just look at this thread ith the non-coffee drinkers throwing up their hands!] I bring my own beans, coffee grinder, and pour over so that I am not a raging, caffeine-deprived crazy woman. Everyone is safer this way.

@Susan151I travel with instant coffee, milk and sugar 🙂

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@Julie1525Your guest sounds like a loon. Coffee maker too big?? Perhaps this guest needs to be reminded that s/he can make the appropriate (smaller) amount in the large machine.

Mikki0
Level 10
Long Beach, CA

I purchased the Hamilton Beach 12 cup coffee maker. It's carafe-less, brewing the coffee directly into an internal chamber. It makes anywhere from 2-12 cups, which in real size coffee cups, is more like 1-6 cups. 

I get beans delivered from Peets Coffee, and also provide a bean grinder and filters so the coffee people can make their own coffee. 

And there is no carafe for them to break. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Julie1525 

At my house, I use a pour over. Very simple and easy to clean. No big apparatus on the counter.

Unfortunately, it is not "standard". Without a drip coffee maker, many guests may be confused about what goes where and may believe you don't have a coffee maker 😞

At my guest house, I got a small black & decker coffee maker that can be configured as a pour over. Unfortunately, when I search for it again, I could not find this perfect model 😞

Starbucks instant coffee is very good (but pricey)