writing my first negative review

Answered!
Nikki339
Level 2
Olalla, Canada

writing my first negative review

Hi, Ive been so lucky with truly lovely guests... until an incident with my last guest. I dont know whether to write it up or leave it... this is what Id write:

Cleanliness:
Michelle took good care of my home and left it clean and tidy, so I would recommend her as a guest for that - although she did not, as requested, take the trash out.

Communications & house rules:
Unfortunately there were some issues with Michelle’s arrival. She had clearly not read the directions (in my time as host, I've never had any lost guests) as she contacted me, very stressed, from the neighbouring town, confused as to why she couldn’t find the suite. When I called to try and help her, she was even more stressed and hung up on me.

I wrote it off as her being distressed as she was in the wrong place and due to go to an event - but I was upset to receive a call from her later - she had gone INTO my unlocked home. Again - my house, with my shoes outside, etc, looks nothing like the entry to the suite which is clearly photographed on the listing - so once I asked her to leave, she decided, without asking me, to lock my door from the inside, thus locking me out of my home at night.
I eventually managed to get in by climbing through an upstairs window.
Michelle apologised for her actions - but if she had just read the directions, none of this would have happened.

Communications after this disastrous first night were cordial.

I'd urge Michelle to read what hosts put together for guests for directions etc, as it's there to avoid unpleasant events like this.

What do you think?

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Yes, you should make it evident that she failed to read the info provided, etc. But you're being way too wordy-  keep it concise and simple. "Difficulties finding the place and entering the wrong unit (which resulted in her locking me out of my own house) could have been avoided had this guest bothered to read the location and check-in information provided, which I imagine she will be more attentive to in the future" along with the parts about her leaving the place clean, etc. @Nikki339

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Yes, you should make it evident that she failed to read the info provided, etc. But you're being way too wordy-  keep it concise and simple. "Difficulties finding the place and entering the wrong unit (which resulted in her locking me out of my own house) could have been avoided had this guest bothered to read the location and check-in information provided, which I imagine she will be more attentive to in the future" along with the parts about her leaving the place clean, etc. @Nikki339

Thank you. I think I'm just still really upset... This is perfect, much appreciated.

Whenever you're upset, wait a few days to leave a review until that dissipates. Reviews seem much more professional if they aren't emotional, just factual. Since we have 14 days to leave a review, no rush. (P.S I might be one of the only people on this international English-speaking forum who knows where Olalla is- I spent a lot of time in the Keremeos area working for orchardists)

@Nikki339

I would like some advice.  I just had my first negative experience with a guest and am concerned about writing a negative review but I don't feel like I can ignore it either.  

1.  Someone other than the person who rented called me at 11:15 pm on check in day because they couldn't find the house, didn't know what it looked like and were being loud as they walked the street.  I asked to speak with the person who rented and he wasn't with them.  

2.  They were there 2 nights (one starting at 11:15pm) and I came to find stinky food in the garbage (House rules say to empty garbage).  3 ruined bath towels 2 outside(looked like they had been used in the dirt) and one inside.  My nice dishtowel in the dirt outside, the city garbage can, previously empty, sitting in the middle of the backyard filled to the top with beer bottles, and my garage left unlocked.  

Am I overreacting to be bothered?  Should I just expect this every so often?  Do I contact the guest directly and tell them my concerns?  Do I write an honest review and how do I do that without sounding like a complaining old lady 🙂  Help please!

More things found:

Microwave was filthy, dishwasher and sink are not draining, pots and pans were put away dirty and all scraped up (they used the grill utensils on my new tephlon pots) and my kitchen rug was outside in a heap.

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Kathie70 Do you charge a cleaning fee?

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Nikki339 Tell it as it is, I always wait for a few days before I write a review when I've had time to think about it