Awkward situation

Peyvand0
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Awkward situation

Hello,

Just want to share my current experience and also see how others might deal/have dealt with something similar.

I'll start from the beginning:

This guest puts in a booking request with a very brief message about what their plans are. Looking back I probably should have discussed and pointed things a bit more but their message and profile was enough to give me the impression they would be fine. (I'm usually quite good at spotting ones that won't be a good match)

From then on the communication is non existant. I messaged once approved to make sure that they read over the confirmation with address, directions, rules etc and let me know if there's any questions and also what their travel plans are to arrange check in/out. I don't hear anything for a while, but there's a little bit of time so I leave it for a bit. (There's a couple of weeks to go)

A week before arrival I get in touch again, just to ask about times as we need to work it around our schedule. I hear nothing. A few days go by and I get in touch again saying I'm very sorry but I must push for times as we need to make plans around our day, in fact we've had to go and make plans so these are the windows of time for check in / out, asking them to confirm. They reply with one sentence saying they hardly have wifi access. Not useful since it's the main way of communicating since Airbnb exists online! Check in time wasn't confirmed. I replied saying in that case whilst they have a bit of access to please make sure they've taken down all the details in the booking confirmation so they know where they're going and to keep my number handy, and to please confirm the check in time asap. They give a check in time and I say ok.

On the day of arrival:

I get a message whilst I'm out saying can they check in earlier. I say that I'm out so we need to stick to the agreed time as I'm not near by, but if I do manage to get back earlier I'll let them know.

I send a text as I know their wifi situation is apparently sketchy saying that I can be back 30mins before the agreed time if that makes any difference. They don't come early. The time comes, and I get a message asking what the full address is! This was my "oh **bleep**" moment as it proves they clearly haven't read or bothered with anything if they are this disorganised. I give the address and wait. I try to call to see if they're lost but can't connect. I message to ask if everything is ok. They ask can they leave yet...!! I say yes, I'm here waiting. An hour and a half goes by from the previous agreed time and I'm now running late for a quick errand I was meant to run. I send a message explaining this and saying that I will be gone for 10mins or so if they happen to arrive in this time, and will be back very shortly so not to worry. They say they haven't even left yet, but can they leave now as they are ready, and I'm like yes! I get home, still nothing. I call and manage to connect and it goes something like this:

Me: Hello, is everything ok?

Them: Yeah I'm ready to leave, I'm just waiting for you.

Me: Sorry, I don't understand what the problem is. We agreed a time, I've been waiting for you.

Them: But you said you had to go out so I was waiting for you to get back.

Me: I went out after waiting an hour and a half for you, and said I would be 10mins, and I'm back now. Where are you coming from, do you need directions getting here?

Them: No , I was waiting-

Me: Ok it seems like we've both been waiting for each other, but I'm here so do come.

Them : Ok, will make my way now!

They get here, I apologise (although really don't think I'm in the wrong here) for all the kafuffle and they have the cheek to say it's ok, just a misunderstanding on both sides! Anyway, I show them around, point out the house manual, talk through stuff all seems ok. Try to chat , they're not really up for it. They're here for training and I ask where it's based and they reply Amsterdamn (obviously meant where in London) so I think we're on completely different wavelengths. They settle in and I'm out for the eve.

Day one:

I should explain here that our listing is for a very specific kind of guest as it is literally Airbnb in the truest sense. The set up is an airbed in our living room. I sometimes work from home and need to use the printer etc so it is understood (and we make very clear in the listing, confirmation and house manual) what the expectations are. It's for guests who are generally out and about, not shut away in the room the whole time. We have great reviews and the people who stay are great and 'get it'.

They don't wake up till about 1pm (fine) and I say hello, they're very brief and head out shutting the living room door (they are asked to prop it open when out so I know it's ok to clean and have access). I go in to clean and the place is a tip - clothes all over the floor, sweet wrappers and lollipop sticks on the carpet too. The room also has a very strong whiff of weed... I hoover around their stuff , prop the door open and give them the benefit of the doubt thinking maybe they've just got it with them and that they'll be going outside to smoke. They come back and say they're keeping the door shut because they don't want the cats going all over their stuff (we clearly state that we have 2 cats before you book), I say that's fine when they're in but when they go out please leave the door open. 

That evening my husband and I can really strongly smell weed. They don't emerge all eve so we don't get the chance to ask him, and also am still trying to give benefit of the doubt thinking maybe it's one of our neighbours. I'm also aware of the dynamic that's starting to happening and don't want to be too confrontational.

Day two:

I'm out in the morning but I come back, and they're out (having left the living room door shut again). I go in to clean and need to use the printer. And absolute pig sty again, I take pics to cover my back a bit, and also see on the table their weed grinder and there's tobacco and ash all over the window sill. Suspicions confirmed. I had to go out again so left a note with the house manual politely reminding them that it's a non-smoking flat, so they need to go outside if they want to smoke (I don't mention what they're smoking). I also say that I hope this doesn't come as a surprise as it's all in the listing before they book, and that they shouldn't take it the wrong way, and to feel free to chat to one of us. I'm then out until late, but my husband manages to see them and said he had a brief chat about it, but that they weren't very forthcoming and seemed to be a bit taken aback and surprised by it all.

It's now day three. They're staying until Friday. I haven't seen them arise yet and am about to head out so don't know when I'll next see them.

I hate feeling like a parent and don't want it to be awkward.  Any ideas on how to deal best? Dreading the review.

27 Replies 27
C-C0
Level 10
Memphis, TN

You have a setup to operate an Airbnb that is marginal--2 cats, airbed, living room--and you will get marginal guests.
Peyvand0
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

I have to disagree . We've been hosting for nearly 4 years and have glowing reviews and the vast vast majority of guests are great. Basic acommodation doesn't mean the quality of a guest has to decrease. In fact some people stay with us because we have cats (and they miss theirs whilst away). We get a lot of solo travellers in need of a base to crash who want to explore the city in a genuine way (and so can talk to locals who can give tips), and also lots of academics, or people here for various training as we're very close to a world class university and arts college. The issue here isn't what we offer. But whether it can be communicated better? 

I think it's a case of complete misunderstanding of expectations. I really don't think the guest took the time to read anything and I probably should have probed more (I usually do) before approving the booking .  I think our listing is very clear and everyone else seems to get it, and those that have a problem don't book which is fine.

Regardless, every listing on Airbnb has a box to tick saying whether there are pets and if smoking is allowed so I don't know if they just didn't notice or didn't care. 

Stoners live in a reality which doesn't have rules and regulations.

This would drive me crazy. If your house rules say "no smoking", you can ask them to leave.

Good luck.
Peyvand0
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

hahaha you made me chuckle! Maybe that's why they don't seem to understand anything, being off their nut the whole time.

They've stopped smoking so I feel like it'd be really harsh to kick them out. Does anyone know what the procedure would be for that? Anyone had to tell someone to leave for breaking house rules?

Stoners are stoners even if they are not stoned. Ha!

If they are being mindful now, just keep them in check. Hopefully, you can ride it out.

I had to remove a guest last month. He was a first timer and didn't read my house rules: had extra guests, then new extra guests and then one with a dog in her purse. I asked him and guest to leave. She comes out with a big bag and it starts sneezing. I totally did the "xxx, I am so ashamed of you. (Didn't I raise you better than this? shaming bit!)" and asked them all to leave:

Airbnb was very supportive. If it is your house rules, you are protected. My house rules are now written for lizards and probably a turn off, but I don't care.
Peyvand0
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

That's good to know Airbnb backed you up.

We had a chat this eve, and it seems they're at least attempting to be on the same page and not take it too personally.

Only 2 more nights, and no more suspect smells coming from the room so fingers crossed. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Dawn33, if I could give you 10 stars for that reply I would! Lizards! Ashamed!

lol.

Haha!
Stars are the best currency ever.
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

They need to find alternative accomodation.

David
Peyvand0
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

How would you go about telling a guest they need to go somewhere else.

I cleaned the room whilst they were out and couldn't smell or see any more evidence of smoking so I think that has stopped. Still treating the space like a tip though.

Rosemary12
Level 9
Burnaby, Canada

Peyvand,

I just want to say how sorry I am for you! I am sure most hosts have had an odd situation, for me it was the guests who wanted to bring a wolf with them!

There is a flag next to a guest's listing in the reservation section to alert Airbnb. Maybe you should flag them and let Airbnb know what is going on. In future, maybe you should hand them the house rules with a note that any contravention will result in immediate cancellation of the booking and ask them to read them in your presence and agree.

In my experience a lot of guests don't read the rules even though Airbnb says they must.  Personally, I would be asking these guests to leave. Make sure you are not alone if you decide to do this!  Good luck!

I think I will add in my house rules that if they are broken they may be asked to leave.

That's a good idea to make them read it in my presence on check in. I do always point it out as the wifi is also in there and keys and some do read it, but not all. I could do the whole 'please read this now and tell me if that's all ok'. 

You don't have to put in your rules that if they break rules it's over. They agree to that at booking, on every Airbnb booking.
Brigid1
Level 2
Kansas City, MO

I'd suggest getting clear on what you want. 

Once you decide, then you figure out the easiest way to get them out. 

I would say something has come up vs. asking them to leave. 

Or I'd explain the rules and say they have a choice to stay and abide or go.