Canceling a 3rd party reservation

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

Canceling a 3rd party reservation

I have been put in a terrible spot by someone who has 11 excellent reviews. He is even a host!

I received a request for July 1-2. I checked his profile, he has 11 excellent reviews and a good one for his first effort as a host. I sent a message telling him I would love to have him, and to check the house rules carefully. After I confirmed the reservation he send the following: 

"Sounds good. You should note that the booking is for my father (***) not me (I am the son he is coming to visit) and his girlfriend (****). I will relay the message though. I plan on showing my father how to set up his own account when he visits so that he could book his own trips in the future."

So I asked why he didn't disclose this? I told him I don't accept 3rd party reservations. He said he thought it would be okay since he listed it on the itenerary. I asked him to cancel, twice. Then I asked him to cancel, pasted a link to the ABB rule against 3rd party reservations, and said I'd have to report him if he didn't.

After waiting 30 minutes I finally tweeted AirbnbHelp and they are looking into it so I don't get hit with a $50 penalty for cancelling.

I shared all that to ask why isn't it easier to report 3rd party requests? It isn't an option under the flag or report this user. 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
28 Replies 28
Ellen85
Level 3
Santa Monica, CA

Do you have instant booking? Maybe that's one of the issues.

If you have written "no 3rd party bookings" where do you list that?

(I'm asking for myself.)

Sorry you are having the problem. The "guest" should cancel just knowing that

you are not comfortable with this!

I do not use instant book. And no 3rd party booking is an ABB policy, I should not need to spell it out, but I will add it to my listing. I don't know why he hasn't cancelled. Still waiting for ABB help to let me know what they decided. 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

Here is what I shared with him:

Please cancel this reservation or I will need to report this as a violation of their rule against third party reservations https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member

Have you had bad experiences with 3rd party bookings.  I've had several with people making reservations for someone who isnt' computer savvy or doesn't know how to use the site.  Never had  a problem with them so was curious as to why you are so opposed.  And yes, it would never work with instant booking because you would find out after the fact that it was a 3rd party making the reservation.

Third party reservations are not permitted by Airbnb unless it is a corporate account. I host in my home. I am generally there when the guest comes and goes. I am not going to #1 put myself in danger by accepting a reservation from someone who isn't the one sleeping in my extra room, or #2 violate the policy of Airbnb and risk not being covered for a claim or nonpayment, or worse.

I'm in a high demand city, and have had a few 3rd party bookings which were all great!  Usually it is an admin booking for the boss, so there are no communication issues and I know who is staying.  Occasionally a family member/friend books and it is unclear if the person booking is also staying.  I am usually home and they are in a separate in-law unit.

At first I was concerned that airbnb would not cover losses if the third party booking resulted in damage, overstaying, extra guests, etc.  Because I will most-likely have to handle those issues myself or spend many hours trying to get airbnb to resolve the issue.  I also carry short-term rental insurance to cover property damages since it is far to painful to make any damage claim with airbnb.

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

It took a little while but just got a phone call from ABB and after reviewing my interaction with the person they are doing an administrative cancellation. I do not know if the guy will be penalized but at least I won't be charged a cancellation fee. 

@Robin129 , you did great! If every host would recognize potential problems and get pro-active like you did, we would have nothing to discuss here in the CC.... 

Even without Instant Book there is a level of vigilance needed. Instant Book just complicates matters, necessitating a cancellation. I recently had a reservation request from a guest with great reviews, who said he was attending a gathering in the area, asking how far we were from this and that. I responded with all the info he requested and his response was " I'll ask my friends if they want to stay with you." Woops! I immediately removed the preapproval, declined, and politely messaged him that his friends needed to join Airbnb and make their own reservations. That 3rd party reservations were against company policy, for many reasons. I recommended an excellent motel in town, as well. We parted ways cordially, and I felt relieved that he had responded to my information honestly. Even with the requirements built into IB, I am uncomfortable with it. So many guests fail to read, make assumptions, and arrive here with surprises on their faces. It all turns out great, but we are not just a place to stay on the way from here to there. I have yet to request re-housing (thank goodness, it would be terribly upsetting!) and staying away from IB makes me - and our guests - more comfortable in the long run.

Your response is thoughtful and informative. I am relatively new as a host (March this year) and still going back and forth about IB -- just switched back it seems that the listing becomes more visible (not necessarily "fair").

It does allow you to cancel right away even after checkin for a house rule violation, and that certainly would be one! But I know getting people out of your place is easier said than done and unpleasant. I've been so fortunate with guests this far but am aware that anything is possible!

Monika64
Level 10
New York, NY

@Robin129 @Ellen85 @Kitty-and-Creek0 @Annette33

Just wanted to share this with you guys: I have Instant Book (as I mentioned here a lot before I cannot survive without it in my area, we have over 500 condos within 2 mile radius in my town) and yesterday someone booked instantly for this upcoming Saturday (avarage guests with a few reviews) with a first message: My friend wants to book your place. I asked him to confirm right away if he meant he'll not be coming, only his friend. He did not even respond to my question, not even after I've waiter the night to pass. So I've contacted Airbnb today, they canceled the reservation and the date was open again within a minute.

By the way, I have it in the VERY FIRST paragraph of my House Rules that it's against Airbnb rules to book for someone else. As I said it before many time over: PEOPLE DO NOT READ LISTINGS, NOT EVEN HOUSE RULES (even though they have to sign off on it).

The reason I posted this to let you know that even if you have IB and someone already booked Airbnb will stand by their "no 3rd party booking rule" and will cancel the reservation without penalty to the host if they see it proven in your chat.

@Monika64

yes, the same situation here.... but, every time it happens it takes few hours of my time bc I have to contact ABB, worry and wait for their response, make correspondence etc... just because guest didn't take a minute to read house rules nor my message.

It shuold be automated so we can cancel it with one click

@Branka-and-Silvia0

This situation really bothered me; I created a post in Host Voice, please give it a thumbs up if you agree and/or add your suggestions/comments.  I understand the Host Voice forum is reviewed for suggestions that receive a certain amount of activity.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/Report-3rd-Party-Booking-Requests/idi-p/411381

Thanks, I agree. I just will not use IB. I host one room in my home. I work from my home and have pets. I want to know who is coming. I've had people want to stay and say they can't be at my home till 10 PM. Well, we get up at 5 AM as a rule. I am not staying up till 10 to let someone in. Our check-in is clearly listed as 2-6 PM. As many will point out, people don't read.

I am not trying to be a cheap version of a Hilton. I have a room to rent, and I'll feed you a little breakfast. My way or the highway.