Cleaning, Cleaning, Cleaning and checking.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Cleaning, Cleaning, Cleaning and checking.

Hi Folks

Commentary:

Having spent the first few months cleaning my apartment before guests arrived, I then engage a cleaner to do the job, I explained that EVERYTHING needs to be checked.

This time round I did the cleaning myself to keep my hand in, and what do I find, finger marks on the cutlery and food residues on my cooking pots.

Don't misunderstand me my cleaner is excellent and I’m very happy with her, she just dropped the ball after all what guest would put back cooking pots back in the cupboards in that condition or put the cutlery back in the draws without washing them first?

Cleaning for domestic use is not the same a cleaning for paying Guest so please no more comments about why guest should pay A cleaning charge.

EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE CHECK,

EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE CHECK,

WHEATHER ITS CLEAN OR NOT THIS IS A VERY TIME-CONSUMING ACTIVITY BUT A NESSECERY ONE.

I’m sorry about the polemic but I’m steamed.

Regards

Cormac

ECK III

ECK VIII

39 Replies 39

I think the cost of the accomodations have a lot to do with cleanliness expectations.

For $150/night, I expect the pots scoured, the windows sparkling & the couch not stained

or worn. For $20/night, I may overlook a few things, but still expect a clean place.

Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

Yes 

Check everything, we provide 6 plates oftern the 4th in the pile needs rewashing.

Also all electrical items - found today that one of bulbs had blown in the cooker hood which had blown the fuse and therfore the extractor did not work. The guests were no problem but why did they not tell us?

Yes, it is that plate hidden in the stack thaat has a trace of egg yolk on it! 

Eileen69
Level 3
Brigadoon, Australia

Hi Cormac,

could not agree more.  We decided very early on the Airbnb journey that we would not outsource this area.  It possibly is one of the more vital areas of hosting.  As the old saying goes, "if you want something done right, do it yourself!"

Eileen69
Level 3
Brigadoon, Australia

Hi Cormac,

Could not agree more.  We decided very early in on the Airbnb journey that we would not outsource this area.  It possibly is one of the more vital areas of hosting.  As the old saying goes, "if you want something done right, do it yourself!"

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

I atually prefer that guests NOT wash the dishes, etc before they leave, because I almost always have to wash them again anyway. Likewise, I prefer that guests NOT strip the bed and the bath towels, because that only makes it harder for me to check for stains, rips, etc.

@Dede0

I rewash the dishes - prefer that they lightly wash them over letting food dry on and make my job more challenging. We have a large and deep sink. 

Sheets - yes, agree totally. I vac and inspect sheets before stripping beds. That way debris stays out of the washer, less likely to show up again. Remaking the bed is less work to remove that, plus fluff, stray hairs and fibers. I have a commercial washer and dryer, still I clean sheets before I wash. If I may be indelicate - what comes off the feet at night is on the sheets, and it can be quite a lot. Towels - I'm with you! 

@Dede0 Hello, I'm with you............I ask them to let me wash any dishes and not strip the bed linens - I say, you have paid for this service - and they do pay a small cleaning fee - BUT, actually, I am looking for stains, and tears, etc. I want everything to be really as clean and fresh and perfect as possible.. so far, working out just fine. 

You know the one thing that has been a small challenge is the food brought in and the smellyness of it if it stays in the cottage - like  - SO I have a large trash / rubbish can on the patio - plus several waste cans inside for stuff. And I point it out and suggest putting stuff out there upon their arrival. So far folks have been really good - except one - and thank God for vinegar to take away the smell of Garlic - was like crazy - and took a day to get it completely out. 

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Cormac0 As the proverb says 'cleanliness is next to godliness' Happy hosting!!!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Cormac0 as someone mentioned before - it is not that we don't care, we CAN NOT care for everything. 

Zagreb has very hard water with a lot of calc, and if something is washed but not polished with dry cloth, it will have water marks on it. We just do not have time with back to back, 2 nights average bookings to take out all the dishes, glasses ,pots and cuttlery (10 people set), to wash it and polish it after every guest. It would take us at least 1 hour per kitchen, and we have just 3 hours to clean 2 apartments with 2 kitchens, 2,5 bathrooms and up to 8 beds. 

So yes, our kitchen utensils have water marks on it and if it bother someone he can allways wash it before use and give us less stars for cleanless. Luckly... we just had few guests who mentioned it, others understood.

@Branka-and-Silvia0

Soaking is calgonite works treat.

Regards

Cormac

ECK III

ECK VIII

Cathy172
Level 10
Dennis, MA

For me, one word. Hair.

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

I don’t stress about dishes and glasses. Houserules ask them to use the dishwasher, but about a third of the guests does not, about half of those are convinced that they wash dishes better than any dishwasher. Unfortunately they don’t. 

I have computers for the guests, which also provide tv and and films.. They can start in different languages. Now and then, I demonstrate them at checkin or a shared room guests calls, because all kind of things happen, when you start them. People leave their social media accounts open, chats open, switch to their google account in another language with their mails accesible, photos and documents all over the desktop etc etc. If they don’t care for their documents, codes and pissible identity theft, you can’t expect them polishing a few forks. And I have a cleaning fee for data removal and computer cleaning in my contracts 😉 (without intention to claim it, just to limit the clutter). 

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Cormac0  we also have mineral rich water. We use vinegar to remove the calcium deposits on the shower Glassdoor and on the plates and utensils. I totally agree that your listing MUST be clean every time, no excuses. I recently had to let my housekeeper go because she couldn’t follow instructions and corrections. The new crew gets the cleaning done to my standards and the guest love it. One funny thing about our previous housekeeper, I asked her to tell me why the house is not cleaned to my standards and she suggested I pay her $350 for a ‘deep cleaning’. Once I stopped laughing, I let her know she wouldn’t be needed anymore. She told me that I would never find anyone to clean the house to my standards, guess what? She was dead wrong. Boom! 

So do we, @Cormac0. The mineral deposits are a challenge to keep up with. We use vinegar a lot, and occasionally we have to go a bit stronger for the deep cleaning. Anywhere water can stand, like a dish drainer...