Day 25, A Christmas Story: A 100% TRUE STORY

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Day 25, A Christmas Story: A 100% TRUE STORY

Merry Christmas, all!  This is about being hosts and guests in this life--not just our homes, but our hearts.

Prelude:  I live in a small neighborhood… really, more of a community than just a ‘hood.  Everyone pretty much knows everyone, a lot of us have exchanged house keys, and no one would think twice about knocking on someone’s door or calling to ask for an onion, an egg, or to borrow/use something.  Our larger ‘hood is also sub-categorized as ‘the most ethnically diverse’ in San Diego County.  A huge bunch are either immigrant or 1st generation.  Everyone has good or perfect English, and all but two have multiple languages.  Food at our parties is always amazing!  We also have quite a number of children, ages 5 – 14… super polite, and they play—any kind of ball sport, skateboards, you name it--outside in our yards and in the quiet street after school (after homework)—not glued to phones or tech games.  Sweet. 

Last year, The Question of The Season came up: ‘Is there a Santa Clause?’ and the kids grouped up and went door-to-door to poll the adults!  (Oh my!)

I was a little surprised that one neighbor said “NO” and another said, “Don’t be stupid.”  Bah, humbug!

When the children arrived at my door… I was both surprised and impressed.  (I also realized that I was suddenly on The Hot Seat!)

“Is there a Santa Clause?  OF COURSE!”

“But I’ve seen my mom & dad… they know what I want… and we don’t have a chimney!  It’s all a lie, right?”

“Wrong.  Sure, maybe your parents give you some stuff, but Santa Clause is real.  Trust me.”

“WHAT???” (Gasping and looking at each other) “We don’t believe you!”

“Haha!  Just because YOU haven’t seen him—yes and the sleigh, and the reindeer?  Well, I’m sorry about that, because some of us have, and I am one of them.  And I have witnesses!  My mom and dad!  We all saw, and they will back me up in a SECOND!  Maybe you will too, someday.  Here’s what happened:

“I was four years old.  My parents and I lived in a small house.  We had the tree all decorated, and on Christmas Eve, I was sent to bed.  The milk and cookies were left on the table.  I wasn’t sure how He was going to get in, but to bed I went… unable to sleep…and then finally drifted off. 

“Around midnight, my mother knocked on my door and excitedly, shook me awake.  ‘Kim!  Come quick!  Santa is HERE!’ 

“’Really???’  I in my little nightgown, took my mom’s hand as she ushered me toward the front door.  I could already see that there was something going on as we hurried past the front window… and I heard…sleigh bells!  My dad was already outside. 

“I stopped.  Unable to move, barely able to breathe.  It was SANTA!  With the sleigh, full of presents, and a train of eight tiny reindeer—antlers and all!  Santa was a big man… you know the uniform… white beard, and that voice!  ‘Ho-ho-ho!  What have we here??’ he said, as he picked me up.

Have you been a good girl?’  I couldn’t muster more than a nod and a smile because… well, I was simply overwhelmed! 

“Santa came in and tucked what seemed like a LOT of presents under the tree, and he helped himself to the milk and cookies.  My eyes could not have been wider. I was absolutely speechless!

“He smiled, laughed and in his big voice said as he left, ’Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Good Night!

“I crawled back into my bed…my life forever changed; my faith unshakeable.”

This IS A TRUE STORY.  Many years later I slowly learned a little bit about how they pulled it off, but I did not tell that part to the children at my door, who, having just heard this story were looking very much like I did when I was four. 

My family wasn’t wealthy in the least, but my father worked in the advertising business and he could definitely pull off some amazing things!  My mother, to this day, is the most amazing ‘plan artist’ and we had some incredible neighbor-friends.

😉

I think all little children really do want to ‘believe’ in this great story, and no one wants to look a fool for believing in a ‘fairy-tail’ that isn’t real, but my story IS real.  I remember being around their ages when my friends were trying to lift the veil from my eyes, but I KNEW! And on another level, I was really starting to understand this magical time.

***** The kids and I then spent a little time talking about the amazing ‘spirit’ of Christmas (I still had a couple of not-quite-believers).  We talked about giving—what that feels like; about receiving—and being grateful for someone who thought about you and maybe something you needed or really wanted and couldn’t get it by yourself—as a surprise; being thankful for everything and everyone in your life. “Santa Clause is the Patron Saint of Children, and among his many miracles… but for his reputation of ‘secret gift-giving’ he is probably most renowned.  And it is contagious, on purpose!”

“So are you saying that it really just is our mom and dad and that he’s just some sort of ‘spirit’?”

“No, I’m not.  While the Spirit of Giving is indeed how he meant it to be, you must of course know that he was granted immortality, right?  So he does, in fact, truly exist.  

“If none of you have yet to see him in real life, I have, and you can trust me that every single word is true.” 

***** Back to my story, I also clearly remember, when I was around 9 and had been actually working my own small ventures (I had made and saved money by making cotton candy and doing magic shows), I had enough money to buy presents for everyone in my family—now including a little brother and sister.  Wrapping the presents with a tiny note--only who the present was for; not from--and quietly placing them under the tree after everyone had gone to bed...then acting so surprised in the morning! 😉  I was one of Santa’s helpers! And THAT was probably the first most amazing Christmas for me since meeting Santa in person. 

I don’t believe that the kids went to any of other houses after mine.  There were small voices, “WOW!  OMIGOSH! Do you believe her? I’m pretty sure!” to be heard as they walked away, but I really think that more than a few of them were starting to understand--and yet probably always wonder at what they had just heard… and maybe, just maybe… they just hadn’t seen him yet.

😉

Ho-Ho-HO!

And regardless of your religion, Merry Christmas to all!

Best to all of you, always,

Kim
6 Replies 6

Thank you so much for this terrific story! Happy Christmas to all of us!

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @Kimberly54

Wonderful story! I really enjoyed it.. and yes, when I was a little children.. I and my brother used to believe in Santa Claus! He left some gifts to us... It was unforgetable and wonderful times! 🙂

@J-Renato0, you do KNOW he's real, right?

Kim
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Found your post in the Airbnb lost & found section @Kimberly54 😉 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

WOOPS, THANK YOU! @Quincy!

Hope everyone had a Fabulous holiday (all of them), and I wish everyone the best New Year ever!

Best,

Kim

What a fantastic story to share with us! Thanks!

Hosting since Thanksgiving Day 2012 and over 1,000 stays. May you ever be the benevolent ruler of your own domain--YOUR life. Allow no other to rule over it.