Does anyone know how to get a resolution for damages?

Cindy200
Level 2
New York, NY

Does anyone know how to get a resolution for damages?

I had a guest who reserved my space for 10 people and ended up throwing a huge raging party and causing thousands of dollars in damages.

The only way that I finally got them to respond was via Tweeter. 

I have provided all pertinent information, all legitimate invoices and photos of damages, I have been told there can't be a resolution because they can't verify the validity of my the invoices and a should provide alternatives?  I have given them the invoice from the folks who did all the work, how much more valid can that get.?

Does enyone have any experience actually getting a resolution? Who should I speak to? 

In addition, they have all the correspondence with the guest that proves that he totally scammed me! But if AirBnB does not come through with their so called "Host Guarantee" then I supposed they are no better than this guest who took advantage of the space and puts no value to peoples time and efforts.

6 Replies 6
Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

What an awful experience you've had. So sorry you have to deal with that. It's always such a violation when guests don't behave and are disrespectful.

I would set up a security deposit right away as it seems you don't have that currently.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/59/how-do-i-add-a-security-deposit-to-my-listing

I've previously requested money from guests because they smashed my flat screen. Via the resolution center you can request payment from the damages. Have you tried that? For me that worked!

https://www.airbnb.com/resolutions

If that doesn't work I'd turn to the Host Guerantee which you've obviously have done.

I'm curious to what happened? How big was the damage and the amount? 

It sounds strange that they question the validity of your invoices. What do they lack since they require alternatives?

Have you spoken to a rep on the phone about this? It might help calling them?

Not one number to call.  They literally don't do phone calls. (!) 

I can not believe the kind of global size scam they are running here. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

There is alwasy the Arbitration process if you can not get a satisfactory resolution.

David
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Cindy

Contact your local newspaper or tv station and see if they investigate whats going on, I'm aware the Guardian Newspaper (U.K.) did an investigation of this kind for a number of host in difficulties, and they were fully reimbursed by Airbnb.

Hold their bottom close to the brazier it usually works.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Hi @Cindy200

I had a look on your profile and on the Tuscan castle listing. There are a few points, that may have contributed to this terrible experience: 

in your profile, you write that you may not even meet the guests, having a dayjob. That's an invitation to do as they please. Remove that and the remark, that you don't hover over them and teplace by a passis how well you know your neighbors. Implying that any misdeed will be reported immediately. 

Then you have Suitable for Events checked. That means that events aka parties are allowed. 

If you want to leave it, write in the rules, that events sre allowed under certain circumstances, that you need a detailed description of the planned event and IF you agree to it, a contract for this extra service has to be concluddd. Extra fees or deposits for the additional service may be requedted. 

If you do not want parties uncheck the box and add more pictures of beds and peacefull activities, towels on the beach etc, to balance the pictures of the reception areas and dining room. 

Invoices mean official invoices on company letter head, satisfying the legal requirements for an invoice. In Europe, that would be: name, address, tax number of the company, name of the client, address if over a certain value, invoice date, date of the service rendered (month is tge minimum requirement), description of goods and / or services. Total amount at least, indication if vat applies and if so the percentage and amount. Payment condition. 

If your friend repaired a broken item and wrote an invouce, but is a private person himself, that's not an invoice. If he is a cratsman and writes it on the letterhead of his registered company, that's an invoice. If your cleaner works black and confirms the hours, that's not an invoice, but if you get a cost estimate from a local cleaning company for the number of hours it took, that could be used, if it follows the points above (indicating that the service will be rendered at your address in August 2017 etc).

the rest of the steps, you seem to have made: resolution center, ask the guest first, upload photos, involve airbnb. 

Generally, a damage deposit in your listing is better for such cases than the host guarantee. It can cover cleaning and wear and tear easier than the guarantee, which covers less, but in higher amounts.