Half my guests try to check in early.

Miki5
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

Half my guests try to check in early.

I have a check-in time of 3:00 and often have guests who would like to drop off their bags earlier. This is fine, of course. The problem is they NEVER just drop off their bags. They start asking questions, want to use the washroom, can they have the key, want to know where their room is, why can't they checkin now? I have my check-in time set for a reason. I work from home and need the time to prepare the room. But also, and I feel this is just as important, that is my time. Time in between guests, for me. What's adding to my frustration is they always ask the day of their arrival. Never before. Though I always send an email stating the check-in time is 3:00 and asking when they plan to arrive so we can arrange for them to have the key, and a tour of the apartment. ( Writing this I realise here might be my mistake. I should say, perhaps, check-in time is FROM 3:00 on.) I have a lockbox and could leave the key for them, but it's for emergency situations. I prefer to greet guests when they first arrive and also to know who is staying in my home. Any suggestions? Or am I doing something wrong? 

10 Replies 10
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Miki5 is there some luggage storage near by? For example we are about 10 min walk from the train station so they can leave their luggage there and go on lunch or something unitl the check in time

@Branka-and-Silvia0 No there's nothing like that. I'm pretty well located, but in an artsy part of the city. The bus station is not far, but it seems weird to ask people to go drop their bags off there if they haven't taken the bus. Curious, how do most peole handle this request by guests? 

@Miki5

I haven't had this be a problem but I did think about what I'd do IF it were to happen. If I were in your shoes, I'd go outside to greet them, take their bags, and say something along the lines of "see you any time after 3pm." and go inside, without letting the guests into the home before 3pm. Once they are in the house, they will act like they've checked in (it's human nature!) - they got in thru the door, mission accomplished. (Of course we are not hotels, but think about how hotels do it. Either they allow early check in, or you  leave your bags in the lobby - NOT in the room before you check in. No room access prior to check-in.)

Also, don't wait for the guest to contact you with arrival details. After you send the email, follow up with messages and have them give you a specific arrival time at least 2~3 days prior to the check-in date - TELL them that you cannot accomodate these types of requests if they are made on the day of arrival, that these things need to be planned for IN ADVANCE. And then don't accomodate last minute requests. Set rules for yourself and stick to them 🙂 Good luck~!

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Often I am out an about so not practical. 

Sometimes it suits me if they turn up early, frees my day, and then I find they want to come at 1pm and do not see them until 4pm.

So if it is not convenient I remind them of my check in time, might say if I am back early will be happy to oblige and will let them know at that time.

Important thing is maintaining control.

David
Ron103
Level 8
Galveston, TX

@Miki5 Here is the check-in notice I send out.

"Hi guest! Thanks for booking with me.
Check-in is Date @ 4pm-6pm (Please provide rough ETA)(I can flex for a later check-in with notice in advance)
Checkout is Date @ 11am
Please message me when you are about 20 minutes away so that I can meet you with the key.
If you message me then, I should be able to meet you without delay."

This has largely limited early check-in or bag drop-off requests to the occassional "if you don't ask, the answer is always "no" type of guests.  And when they ask, I usually just tell them, "I am sorry, but no-one will be available to meet you until check-in."
Having people commit themselves to a general check-iin time by asking for them to provide an ETA that is within my check-in hours adds some accountabliity.
My schedule can usually accomadate late check-ins, but almost never early ones. And I have found people that ask for early checkin almost always shaft you by 30 minutes to 1.5 hours. In this case, no good deed goes unpunished.

@Ron103 Thank you! That's a great idea and exactly the kind of tip I need. I'll be applying it right away.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I have great success proposing two opetion.

The can drop off their bags for free, but checkin is after X:XX

(Make sure bedroom is locked)

OR

They can pay $20 for early checkin.

Not surprisingly, no one wants to check in early

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

I try to send them to a train station or say that I’m on a business date accross town. 

If they ask early for a longer stay, I say to give me the hour for the drop off (too early is not possible as the guest before will be in) and say that it is only drop off at the door, no use of the amenities, no entering. Not surprisingly, that reduces the urge to spend an hour in public transport to come here for the bags and then go back to see the sights. 

We contact them a few days before and say "Check in is anytime after 3pm. When can we expect you?" Or, if we won't be there to greet them, we tell them the door code is valid from check in time (3pm) until checkout time (11am) on departure day. We have offered early checkin for a fee as well. No takers. If you can't get a keypad lock, you can tell them you had guests leave late and are running behind, or that you can't be there at the time they want to drop off, or that your insurance won't cover their things or them being on your property outside booking hours. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Miki5

I agree with others here. You need to take control. As soon as the guest books, ask them what time they plan to check in (within your check in hours) and let them know about left luggage facilities in Montreal if they are arriving earlier - a major city like yours will have a number.

Also mention a few nearby attractions/places they can visit if they arrive before your check in time.

If they ask to arrive earlier just rinse and repeat.

End of problem.