Just a small rant

Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Just a small rant

Because I need to vent before putting my happy host face on. 

I leave seltzer and bottled water in the refrigerator in our Airbnb apartment as well as some cookies, granola bars, etc. I know, and have learned the hard way, to never leave more than I'd want the guest to take. But the vast majority of guests are polite and take a couple drinks, maybe a packet of cookies... I recently had a longer stay guest than usual and stocked the fridge with plenty (I usually leave one or two of each drink per day the guest is staying), then I had a one night guest, followed by a longer stay again. I bet you can guess what happened, right? I left twelve seltzers, six waters, and some beers in the fridge and the one night guests took them all! Plus all the cookies! 

And of course these are also the guests who asked for early check-in (or well, didn't ask so much as announced), left the apartment a mess, and did not follow our simple check-out instructions (leave the key and message me that you've gone).

I know, I know, it's my own fault for leaving something I'd be mad if they took but good grief! People sometimes! 

14 Replies 14
Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

That rots.

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

Hi @Lyndsey2, I sympathize, and have had similar experiences. I leave out several snack, coffee pods, creamers, teas, fruit and bottles of water. As you said, most guests take some things and leave what they don't use. A few guests, however, seem to think of these as souvenirs and wipe the snack supply clean. I have had guests take every one of the several dozen little creamers I used to leave. And there are maybe two creamer containers in the trash. Nothing to be done about, just grit your teeth and move on. I did cut down on the amount of creamers I put out at any one time. I also found out that if I left an extra roll of toilet paper out (I always put two fresh rolls, but used to leave an extra on the set of shelves in bathroom) that roll of toilet paper was taken so often, that I stopped leaving it. Most of my guests are 2-3 nights, only two people max. Two rolls should be plenty.

They swipe the TP! Can you believe that this whole time I've been wondering how on earth some people go through so much toilet paper in two days without clogging the toilet?

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Lyndsey2, write it in his review in a funny form, not accusing him of stealing. Something like "I'm so glad, I had alrady stocked the fridge with drinks for the long stay starting the next day, so you X not run dry in his single night stay." 

And give him a Not Recommend. On the French website, I can currently see the thumbs ups from former hosts. 

If the value of the goods depassing one portion is relatively high in comparison to your rent, you could also try to get it via the resolution center.

@Helga0Great idea!

People take TP?!?! Really?!?!

Yes they certainly do- think about it, it is more portable than a box of Kleenex and is handy for blowing noses, blotting lipstick, wiping stains, etc., so it can be very useful to have some in your bag. I don't think people take it for its original usage, but it is handy in other ways.

I've seen people with pets carry around a roll of TP with them..... but for the purposes you mention @Kate157 isn't that why you can get pocket kleenex?!?!

Wow..... people actually swipe TP from other people's homes!!!! Hilarious~~

@Jessica & Henry

TP is the swiss army knife of the cleaning activity, its used for everything and judging by the actual amount consumed, it would appear a higher proportion is used for activities other than its intended purpose.

Perhaps a slogan in the bathroom might read:

Wipe your “*“not your tears, (* insert a word that is appropriate for your location, I favour “Arse”)

But then I can be very BOLD sometimes!

Regards

Cormac

ECK III

ECK VIII

@Cormac0

To be totally honest, you can find cheap resturants in my country where they have rolls of TP on each table 🙂 to be used in place of napkins.

I don't mind the part about people using TP for purposes other than wiping your a** but swiping someone elses TP................ (makes me speechless) I mean.....of all the things people steal from other people.....TP?!?!?!

I've never had a good experience with a guest who insisted on an early check-in. 

My trick with those is to say that the check-in time is 2 PM, but that if an earlier option becomes available, I will inform them the day before. And that if it doesn't, I'll recommend a nearby cafe with WiFi where they can relax until time to check in. I find that once you give in to guests rudely flouting your boundaries, something goes off in their brains where they start finding inventive ways to abuse your hospitality. Whereas when you stay politely firm about them, guests tend to be more well-behaved.

@Anonymous you hit the nail on the head actually all my children were the same way........

actually, sometimes we are like authority figures to some guests.

just saying that its a good rule for almost anything. 

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

When I first started I did a similar thing by leaving tp ...like a month's worth..in the bathroom.  Yup...in a week it was gone and my pipes were all clogged up.  We are a family of five and don't go through that much tp in a month, so I was astounded!  I learned quickly to just leave what I think is enough...they can ask me for more.  I have a coffee pot- it has one of those filters that you rise and I do not provide coffee. I have exactly enough enough paper plates for a snack for two people, two sporks and two actual coffee mugs.  I am not charging enough to stock anything.  Amazingly I have found everyone barely uses any of it.  If I provided food or coffee grounds, they'd take it all!

Ilan1
Level 5
Buenos Aires, Argentina

I leave instant coffee, tea bags, ground coffee, salt, sugar, pepper. Most of the guests have consumed what anyone would, except for a group that took the pepper grinder as a souvenir, along with a knife. Strange.

Then, another guest 'forgot to put back in place' a light bulb - that is what he said, haha!

At those moments, you get pretty sad and annoyed. But it's not worth it. If those are small things, don't even waste your time nor your mood on them. Just rate them accordingly, after a couple days to cool down and be professional.