Live and learn

Live and learn

Just a rant, nothing to really solve here, please feel free to add your own story: 

We received 2, last minute reservations for NYE and NY day from 2 different guests who were difficult to get information from after they Instant booked.  Both had no profile information or reviews.  Both sets of guests gave us lowered value and accuracy scores and one gave us a lower Overall score (in over 170 reviews, this is only our second 4-star score so this chaps my buttocks!).

What I have learned: 

1. Last minute bookers are cheap.  Both of these were at the minimum Smart Price we allow ($40/night) so getting a lower "value" score, super rare for us, from these two at the lowest possible price is unfathomable.  I don't know, maybe Airbnb charges a higher % on a last minute booking so the guest price is actually much higher which looks bad for us.  Ever since we turned Smart Pricing on we've seen an increase in 4-star scores for Value even if the monies we receive are the same. 
  2. Last minute bookers do not read your listing.  One of these guests violated our House Rules by booking with his dog which is clearly a no-no.  I should have cancelled but what do I earn for trying to be understanding?  A lower Overall score from him.  
  3. Turning off the requirement that guest must have a positive review from another host when Instant Booking is not working for me.  We are constantly getting newbies now that IB who don't understand Airbnb and they are so much more work especially since they often IB and don't want to lose their money by cancelling.  
  4. Both sets of guests were unhappy about being tied to a check in time, which I probably should have realized was big red flag.  I thought both were going to mark us down for "Arrival" but neither did. Both groups, however, were asked to check in at 5pm just as the sun is going down and before dinner.  Our neighbors arrive home from work about this time and our guests were immediately afraid of our African-American neighbors.  "Is it safe to walk here?" both asked before even taking their coats off.  Sheesh!   Lower score from both for "accuracy" instead.
  5. You can read the reviews on our profile, one actually puts in his review "listing description was accurate" but gave us a 4 and privately the other guest told us that our home was actually better looking than the pictures, especially at night (we have Christmas lights on the house right now and the pictures are of the home in summer. Guess we might consider seasonally changing the pictures)

Normally I would reach out to these guests for feedback, but I don't have the right midset to do so.  I'm burned out I guess.  So instead, I'm going now to make changes to my listing AGAIN to try and help me sleep better at night.  Hopefully the disposition to not allow these types to bother me so readily can be found again soon.  It bothers me more that it bothers me than the actual bother itself.  

End rant.

18 Replies 18

In theory, adding the additional amenities just provides a more favorable review which in turn should generate increased revenue by increasing your listing location in the search. Some people will find the amenities as adding additional value and should something go wrong they may not be as harsh on you come review time. But, its difficult to correlate the two without evidence. I was hosting fine for a year without those additional perks and stayed booked, but then I added more amenities- upgraded linens, fruit for breakfast and spa robes but I can't say that any of that translated into more money for me as I'm just as booked as last year. What has translated into more reveune is charging for late checkout or early check in- $10-15 starts to add up.

@Zacharias0 I'm curious how you work out the early or late check-in/outs. I only have enough time between bookings for the cleaners to come and finish. 

@Miki5  If your calendar is filled with back to back bookings then offering a late check in and/or late check out may not make sense finacially or even be possible. If you're like me and leave a day in between bookings it works nicely as I work a two other part time jobs. The guest arrives super early in the morning or leave really late at night and they don't mind the additional $10-$15 charge. The day is used for cleaning anyway.

@Zacharias0 Thanks for the info. You've definitely given me something to think about as back to back bookings can be grueling. Do you have any idea what percentage of your guests choose this option? One other question: do you have late checkin/outs written on your listing, or is it something you offer once the guest asks?