Providing name of all guests

Rosemary12
Level 9
Burnaby, Canada

Providing name of all guests

I would like to suggest that Airbnb should provide hosts with the names of each guest staying. I believe we have the right to know everyone who is staying in our home, especially if the host lives on site. I like to put a welcome note on their bed but also think it is a question of security and safety. If a guest (not the person who requested the booking) were to be injured and I had to take them to the hospital and all I have is their first name, this could be problematic. Airbnb DO require that guests provide them with this information so why isn't it passed along to the host?

8 Replies 8
Valerie52
Level 2
Scotland, GB

Yes I agree.
I always appreciate a guest who provides names and a brief description of their companions. It helps build s picture of what to expect as a host.
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It may surprise you but the name you see on a person's profile does not have to be their real name. They only have to prove to AirBnB that they say who they are during the verification process. And, you don't have the right to receive this information from AirBnB. Sounds weird, doesn't it...!

However I think you are right about knowing who is staying in your home - but I think that is as easy as asking the guest, and builds a bit of rapport with them too. I would prefer the guest to tell me, rather than AirBnB send me a list which might be out of date, etc..as it would rely on the person booking anyway to give names of partner/spouse/children/friends - all of which can change.

As for an emergeny situation - you don't need to know a person's name, age, address to call an ambulance or call the police. Names are just names and tell you nothing more. The police are pretty adept at finding out who a person is from their bank details or similar info if it's really necessary.

Thanks for the feedback. In 3 years I haven't had a problem with someone giving me false information. Maybe I have been lucky or perhaps because I live in the home I am less likely to be scammed. After reading some of the posts in the discussion room I think I have been lucky!!

I do ask the guest for the name of the other person but wonder why Airbnb doesn't provide it as a courtesy since they ask for it.

Re medical emergencies, I agree (son is a police officer) but in the moment it would be helpful to know the person's name. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I do not believe that ABB does know the names of the extra guests. My house rules state that I require the names, ages & address of every additional guest. This is sent to me post-booking, pre-arrival. I have found that asking direct is a better method than expecting ABB to provide any info.

It would be super if every adult guest had a profile and they all were reviewed, but that is likely a pipe dream

If you need to know the names of the other people in a reservation, why not just ask the guest?

The default message that I send after confirming a 2-person booking asks the guest for their arrival time and the name of the other person in the party. It's to the guest's benefit that they provide this information, since on many occasions the guests are arriving separately. If the other guest's name is provided, that person is effectively authorized to check in on the other's behalf. 

However, I only rent a room for up to 2 people. If I were hosting large groups or families, I don't think I would find the names of every individual - especially the children - to be useful information. 

As a side note, @Rosemary12 , if a guest is so seriously injured that they can't simply tell you their name, you absolutely shouldn't attempt to transport them to the hospital. In this scenario, calling an ambulance would be the right thing to do. 

Hi Andrew

I like to leave a welcome note for my guests so I do ask the booking guest for the name of the other person if they don't indicate but it would be nice if it was provided by Airbnb.  From a security point of view, I think a host should know the name of anyone staying in their home (particularly for those of us who live on the premises). Also, if you know that 2 people are staying but the booking guest doesn't give you particulars, it is a bit awkward having to ask are you a couple, do you need 2 rooms or are you sharing. So far in 4 years of hosting it hasn't been an issue but I would prefer to have this information up front.

I certainly would call an ambulance in an emergency but they are going to ask for the name of the person.

If you have two rooms available for guests, you might actually find it easier to create two separate listings for them. It would be rather unusual for guests to get a second room for free. Myself, I get a lot of pairs of guests who aren't couples but still choose to share a bed - close friends, siblings, even a father-son pair. I never ask about the nature of their relationship, I just make sure they know that they're sharing a bed and don't expect for one of them to camp out on my sofa.

I'm still rather perplexed about the medical-emergency scenario you describe. Even if you aren't supplied the names of the additional people prior to their arrival, you'll certainly have learned them when they check in. It would take a very special guest to get severely injured on your property before they've checked in and introduced themselves...

I only rent my second bedroom when a single guest or couple are travelling with another person. I do not rent it separately, hence I do not list it separately. It is not "free", there is an additional cost that they are aware of.

If the guest does not give me the name of the person they are travelling with up front I ask them but I don't always have their last name. If they had a medical emergency it would be an issue if I only know the other guest by their christian name. It has nothing to do with "injuring themselves before they check in". They DO introduce themselves but as most host will attest, they introduce themselves by their first name. I am simply saying that Airbnb would help the situation if they provide hosts with the full name of each guest.  End of conversation!